Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I prevent data fields from being combined?

Hi,

I have this data set where I have several entries containing the date in the DD/MM/YYYY format. Since I don't want it to be displayed that way, I used

MonthName("Date") as Date

in the data load editor to load the data. There are supposed to be 11 data points in that data set.

However, when I do that I lose 1 data point! There are two rows in my excel file that are exactly the same bar one field, and those 2 got combined. I do not want that to happen, so what do I have to do?

I know that they got combined in some way because when I applied the Count(Date) to a certain visualisation that I had, it gave me a value of 10 instead of 11.

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Toni,

Sorry for the late reply, but I managed to find the problem. I had another table that was causing the problem. I still don’t know the reason behind why it happened, but here is the script involving both tables.

LOAD

MonthName("Date") as Test1,

S.No,

System,

"Job Name",

"Start Time",

"End Time",

Status,

"Mode",

"TOTT problem

Reported

date",

"Resolved

date",

"TOTT Number",

"Batch Job

owner",

"Status / Remarks",

FROM

LOAD

MonthName("Date") as "Date",

S.No,

System,

"Job Name",

"Start Time",

"End Time",

Status,

"Mode",

"SMS/PR

Reported

date",

"Resolved

date",

"PR raised / Number",

"Batch Job

owner",

"Status / Remarks",

FROM

A synthetic key table was created and when I removed the other table, my data fields stopped combining

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

The above tables have multiple field that are identical, that generates a synthetic table. My recommendation is that you eliminate synthetic tables, as this will give you a more predictable data model. There are many ways to approach this problem, and it all depends on what you are trying to do and how your data relates.

The key thing is to only have one common field in the linked tables. Simply this means you tables need to be renamed in some way.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Toni,

Will do, thanks so much!

Regards,

Yun Zheng