Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Qlik_here
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to append tables inside set expression

Hi there,

I am planning to first extract 25% from each of the following subsets of a table:

• Table 1 - if group variable = 1
  • Table 2 - if group variable = 2
  • Table 3 - if group variable = 3

Then I would like to append the 3 tables. I am having trouble finding a way to append inside set expression.

Is there a function that can do this for me? Please advice!

Many thanks in advance!

Labels (4)
5 Replies
Lisa_P
Employee
Employee

Can you give a sample to play with ?

Qlik_here
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Sorry I don't have any samples, I am just looking for a function that can append the following tables (Replacing the + sign)

aggr(Only({$<group={'1'}>}Name) + aggr(Only({$<group={'2'}>}Name) + aggr(Only({$<group={'3'}>}Name

marcus_sommer

What is the aim behind your question? Usually such things needs to be done within the datamodel and I assume that's the case for you, too.

- Marcus

Qlik_here
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I am looking to have a random sampling of N amounts (based on user input) from each of the 3 groups and show the final result in a table

marcus_sommer

Like hinted I doubt that there is really a practicable way to do it directly with any function within the UI and also not with different tables. If I had such a task I would probably go in the following direction by merging the data within a single table and precalculating an appropriate flag, like:

t4: load *, mod(recno(), 100) + 1 as Flag from t1;
concatenate(t4) load *, mod(recno(), 100) + 1 as Flag from t2;
concatenate(t4) load *, mod(recno(), 100) + 1 as Flag from t3;

With it each source will be divided into 100 parts. The users could now within the UI select the group value which they like and the parts from 1 to 100 to get a more or less random sub dataset from the entire dataset. IMO there is rather no way to get a totally ramdomly dataset - whereby you could extend the logic by switching from recno() to rowno() and/or using both in some way and/or pre-loading the data and applying various sorting picking any available field and assigning it to a variable which is then used within an order by statement mayby with:

let var = pick(ceil(rand()*20), 'Field1', 'Field2', ...);

and then:

load * from X order by [$(var)];

You may also combine multiple fields and adding another logig for asc/desc ...

- Marcus