Qlik Community

Ask a Question

New to Qlik Sense

If you’re new to Qlik Sense, start with this Discussion Board and get up-to-speed quickly.

Announcements
Welcome to our newly redesigned Qlik Community! Read our blog to learn about all the new updates: READ BLOG and REPORTED ISSUES
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Creator II
Creator II

How to avoid blank lines in forum posts?

This forum's post editor compulsively adds tons of these lines to my posts, resulting in a lot of ugly blank lines:

<p>&nbsp;</p>

There appears to be no way to remove them.  If I edit the raw HTML, it simply ignores the change and puts them right back in.  Each time I edit the post, I risk even more of those lines being added.

Is there any way around this bug?  It makes posts look terrible.

Labels (1)
5 Replies
MVP & Luminary
MVP & Luminary

Instead of Enter try it with Shift + Enter.

- Marcus

Creator II
Creator II

Marcus_sommer:

This forum's editor inserts blank lines on its own.  I'm not inserting them myself by hitting enter.  That's the whole problem.  I'm not sure what you mean.  What is shift enter supposed to do?

MVP & Luminary
MVP & Luminary

I didn't look underneath the surface how the line-breaks are here performed but I could imagine that's quite similar to the line-breaks within the old ASCII logic which could be chr(10) or chr(13) or both in combination. It's now depending on the editor and the viewer how it's displayed. I assume that something similar is transferred within the newer xml/html logic and that's rather the default-setting now to apply double-line-breaks respectively quite similarly to the effect to set an appropriate margin between the lines (at least within MS Word it's now the default).

This means if it doesn't look like you want you should try it with a different editor / browser and/or just adjusting the view manually - and here like in the previous answer mentioned is often shift + enter useful to get just a single line-break.

- Marcus

Creator II
Creator II

The post looks fine while I'm editing it.  Then I hit the post button.  I look at the published post, and more often than not, it contains a bunch of extra blank lines.

I edit it again, erasing the blank lines.  I click post again.  The blank lines are back.  And maybe, even more blank lines have appeared!

I edit it again, switching to raw HTML view and erasing the blank lines.  I click post again.  The blank lines are back.

Ok, I'll try using Firefox or Edge instead of Chrome, but I've never had this problem with any other website besides qlik.com.  I would just use Stack Overflow instead and never look back, but there don't seem to be that many Qlik people there yet.

MVP & Luminary
MVP & Luminary

I never experienced this behaviour within the Qlik community (and I use either Firefox or Edge). I have no idea what might be the cause … maybe any plugin/addon ...

- Marcus