Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterViglietta
Contributor
Contributor

How to begin learning to write expressions?

I'm looking to become proficient in writing expressions in Qlik Sense however I'm finding it difficult to find a good beginner's starting point, or reference guide, or tutorial that explains the BNF syntax that QS expressions are written in.

In the documentation on Qlik.com there are individual pages that explain the logic of each function but I can't seem to find a resource that shows me the basics of the syntax in a way that allows me to just get started writing them on my own and navigating the documentation to find what I need.

I have experience in SQL, Python and other programming/scripting languages, I know it is written in BNF but I can't seem to to find resources/guides/tutorials on this either and when I look at measure expressions in our system they don't make sense to me. Maybe just some practice exercises or tutorials on writing measure expressions will help? Does anyone out there understand my struggle, or am I a hopeless peon forever destined for failure and disgrace in the eyes of my colleagues, family and the world at large?

Labels (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Rakesh_HB
Support
Support

Hello @PeterViglietta ,

You can check the below:

Using expressions in visualizations 

Chart expressions 

When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "Solution Accepted"... Cheers!

Rakesh HB

View solution in original post

marcus_sommer

I never saw something like this within a public documentation or heard from it. Therefore I doubt that the expressions or the load-script features exists within a BNF syntax.

Beside this I'm not sure how useful it might be to write an own logic. IMO the native features are very powerful and by combining them the most things should be possible. Further the real power of Qlik is the data-model and as far as it becomes complex in the UI the data-model might be not designed appropriately.

Update: There is a reference to BNF within the help but I think you ask for more as this:

What is Backus-Naur formalism? ‒ QlikView

- Marcus

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Rakesh_HB
Support
Support

Hello @PeterViglietta ,

You can check the below:

Using expressions in visualizations 

Chart expressions 

When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "Solution Accepted"... Cheers!

Rakesh HB
marcus_sommer

I never saw something like this within a public documentation or heard from it. Therefore I doubt that the expressions or the load-script features exists within a BNF syntax.

Beside this I'm not sure how useful it might be to write an own logic. IMO the native features are very powerful and by combining them the most things should be possible. Further the real power of Qlik is the data-model and as far as it becomes complex in the UI the data-model might be not designed appropriately.

Update: There is a reference to BNF within the help but I think you ask for more as this:

What is Backus-Naur formalism? ‒ QlikView

- Marcus