Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to change data source from local to server

Hi,

I've created an app with connection source to my local server (on my computer). I would like to change it's credentials to the server, which has got the same databases etc.

I'm not sure is this possible with Qlik Sense Desktop. I'm affraid I will have to make all connections once between data again.

I would like to have this change without unlocking Data Load.

Maciek

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MK9885
Master II
Master II

Create a New local connection and change your from destination for the from script.

Previous SQL data load

Ex:

From YourViewName.ABS

change it to

FROM [lib:/YourLocalConnection/XYZ.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is SheetName);

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Have you tried editing the existing Data Connections ?

Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

Hi,

Edit the data connection and give your exact connection string or path.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, but I can't do this without unlocking data loading. My Computer is my local SQL database, I can't edit it.Connection_170202.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I can do this I think only when I unlock the section that was generated automatically. M

MK9885
Master II
Master II

Create a New local connection and change your from destination for the from script.

Previous SQL data load

Ex:

From YourViewName.ABS

change it to

FROM [lib:/YourLocalConnection/XYZ.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is SheetName);

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You're right however, it' s possible only, when I unlock data load. This will result in fact I cannot manage my tables, connections (keys) between them etc. (maybe I don't loose it, but I don't now how to behave in that situation).

DataLoad_170203.png

When I unlock this section, I can simply create another connection and change the text in upper section from "MACI" to my new connection name.

But it results in something like that:

DataLoad2_170203.png

When I don't unlock it (and can't change connection) my model looks like that:

DataLoad3_170203.png

MK9885
Master II
Master II

Yeah, just unlock it.

Why can't you unlock? Unlock will not effect the script or data, it will just allow you to edit the script.

If you worried then make a duplicate of this app, unlock the sheet and make a new connection.

After you make a new connection, are you giving that name in From or LIB ?

what's the new connection name and can you also paste the screenshot of new connection name & script?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I thought I will be able to have my connection changed as well as I will not lose the ability to manage my data from Data Manager. So this is a normal situation that Qlik users unlock data and manage it manually. Is it possible then to set key references between tables manually in this situation?

This is my Data load after changes.

I gave its new name in LIB.

Połączenie_170203.png

And this is my new connection string.

OLEDB CONNECT TO [Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=IBM;Initial Catalog=Analysis;]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I must admit I have never used the QlikSense Data Manager.

Having come from a QlikView background I am comfortable writing load scripts and to be honest see no advantages that the Data Manager would give.  I expect those who have come straight into QlikSense with no exposure to QlikView may well have a different viewpoint, indeed in due course I may well find some advantages of the Data Manager.

When you say "set key references between tables manually", I think you mean giving the same name to 2 fields in 2 tables to create an association between the 2 tables.  This can be done manually in the load script by renaming fields with script like this :

Load

OldFieldName as NewFieldName,

........... etc...........

Just my personal opinion, other people's opinions are available.