Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create custom map to use with kml files

Hi all.

I'm very excited about all the new options in Qlik Sense but it's also a bit hard to understand all of them.

Hopefully some of you can help we with my question:

I want to make an application where it is possible to see the employees or e.g. kitchen, toilets etc. on a map depending on my search.

Either they have to be marked with small points / bubbles or each office etc. should be marked by the whole area.

For now I have a .jpg floorplan with all the offices etc. on each floor.

Is there a way to do this myself and / or do I need to 3rd party software? And is it possible to make two different solutions (point maps and polygon maps)?

I have searched the Internet but I only get some help on how to create kml files based on Google Earth.

I really hope you can help me solve this one.

Best Regards,

Johnni Kirstein

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Did you get this resolved? If so which tools did you use?

I have found the following online tool to convert KMZ files to KML. However i have not had the chance to test it.

http://www.mapsdata.co.uk/online-file-converter/

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Johnni,

Take a look at this video to understand the concepts behind the polygon ma first:

Using the Maps Chart Object - Polygon Map - Part 2 - (video)

In theory. You would have to create the KML floor plan custom using some sort of tools. For example Google SkecthUp - Home | SketchUp - you can create a floor plan and save as KML - which can then be used with Qlik Sense Maps object and the Polygon map approach as in the video. The KML tag that identifies the "locations" on the floor plan would need to have the appropriate data values that matches the corresponding value in your data.

As a reference for other videos:

New to Qlik Sense Videos

On another note - check out Qlik Branch (our developer exchange) - you can collaborate your idea with others and perhaps inspire someone to create it as an extension object - or even better share your ideas.

Hope this puts you in the right direction.

Please mark the appropriate replies as helpful / correct so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike.

Thank you for your help so far.

I've downloaded  SketchUp as 30 days full trial and tried to make a kml-file.

Unfortunately it is only possible to export as a kmz-file, not as a kml-file, and after renaming it to .zip and extracting it I get a .kml-file and a .dae-file. None of the files are useful in QlikSense.

It is not possible to load from the two files because they are not recognized as a kml-file.

Can you / Qlik recommend any other tools where it is possible to make a real kml-file or is it possible for Qlik to make a video tutorial where you show how to build up a custom map not based on an existing map but making it from the beginning?

Best Regards,

Johnni Kirstein

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hey Johnni - dang - thanks fro trying and appreciate the effort.

I will inform our PM team and see what they say.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Did you get this resolved? If so which tools did you use?

I have found the following online tool to convert KMZ files to KML. However i have not had the chance to test it.

http://www.mapsdata.co.uk/online-file-converter/

johnson532
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thankyou for sharing. I also need a  custom map for my toilet related lueliving website and also for blankets related website. I also want to use it with kml files. thankyou damian for sharing this online converter tool. 

BitcoinTidingsCom
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I did according to your instructions and everything works as it should. 🙂 thanks for sharing this publicly. I have been looking for a solution to this problem for a long time. KML files are an individual solution that's why it's so hard to find anything about it.