Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattdavis10
Contributor
Contributor

How to do a Recursive Calculation in Qlik Sense to create a Forecast or Projection

I would like to do a recursive calculation where the above number is used to calculated the new number in a column. In  the attached excel sheet I use the above above balance  + the above balance * a percentage of change to calculate the new balance. I would like to create a expression that uses actual data when present, but otherwise does a recursive calculation using above number to continue the calculation until the periods end. 

image.png 

13 Replies
mattdavis10
Contributor
Contributor
Author

The above function doesn't allow for recursive calculations.  I've tried and  it only does the calculation when actual data is present. I want to be able to continue the calculation even when actual data isn't present.  

sunny_talwar

Try this expression

Sum(TOTAL_RF93_BALANCE)
+
If(Flag = 'F',
FirstSortedValue({<Flag = {"A"}>}TOTAL Aggr(Sum(TOTAL_RF93_BALANCE), PAY_PRD_END_DATE), -PAY_PRD_END_DATE)
exp(RangeSum(Above(Log(Only({<[Flag] = {'F'}>} 1+[RF93 Change])), 0, RowNo()))), 0)

Where I have created a Flag for forecasted data in the scriptimage.png

mattdavis10
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you Sunny for the help! This is what I need, but for some reason I get an error when trying to use this expression. Just says Error in Expression. 

sunny_talwar

I have attached the QVF for you to check as well.. can you check if the expression works in the attached sample when you open it?

mattdavis10
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Our company uses a web based Qlik Sense so I do not have software to open a QVF file. Any suggestions?

mattdavis10
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Do  I need to create a flag column to use this expression? This is still very new to me. 

sunny_talwar

You can import the qvf file into your web based Qlik Sense platform.

sunny_talwar

All we need is a way to identify what is actual and what is forecast periods. If there is already a way to identify this information, you can use that instead of the flag field that I created.