Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thundera1z
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to find the most occurring value in the particular year

Hello!

I'm trying to make a bar chart that could show me the most popular music genre in a particular year.

I have a dataset of 6000 songs (100 per year starting from 1960 up to 2019). My goal is just to show that in a particular year the most popular/most occurring music genre was "x".

Screenshot 2020-06-20 at 18.14.27.png

I know it has to do something with the MODE function. However, I'm struggling with finding a solution to the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Taoufiq_Zarra

@thundera1z 

attached qliksense file

Dimension : Year

Measure1  : count

Max(Aggr(count(Genre), Year,Genre))

Measure 2:Genre

FirstSortedValue(Genre, -Aggr(count(Genre), Year,Genre))

output :

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

(you can mark up to 3 "solutions") 😉

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Taoufiq_Zarra

@thundera1z 

we can use  FirstSortedValue   for this type of problem,
if you share a sample data and the column on which you want to apply the max, we can propose the exact script

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

thundera1z
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@Taoufiq_Zarra 

Here is the sample data in the attachment. Basically, I just need to find the most popular genre in each year. Then I want to build a bar chart with "year" as a dimension and "genre" or "key" as a measure. But I'm struggling to write the expression for measure properly. 

Taoufiq_Zarra

how can we measure e the most popular/most occurring music, i.e. which column in the sent sample allows to deduce this information,  ...

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

Saravanan_Desingh

One solution is.

tab1:
LOAD Year, 
     Artist, 
     Genre, 
     [Playtime (sec)], 
     BPM, 
     Key, 
     [Energy Level]
FROM
[C:\Users\sarav\Downloads\Sample Data.xlsx]
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

tab2:
LOAD Year, Genre, Count(Genre) As Genre_Vol
Resident tab1
Group By Year, Genre;

Drop Table tab1;
Saravanan_Desingh

Output

commQV52.PNG

thundera1z
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@Taoufiq_Zarra 

Thank you mate for quick replies.

No, the goal is just to return the most occurring value (genre) in a given year. So basically I need to return the most popular genre in 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, and so on. Energy Level is another dimension that has nothing to do with genres. It's just the song's "danceability" level (the higher it is, the more danceable the song is).

The most popular genre is measured by the number of times a certain genre appears in a given year.

I have Billboard Hot 100 chart data in the sample. So there I have end-year positions of each year starting from 1960. The task is to build a bar chart that will show how the most popular genre was changing over the years.

P.S. sorry if my language is dumb, I'm just trying to describe the issue as simple as it's possible.

thundera1z
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@Saravanan_Desingh 

Thank you mate.

Is this the script for Qlik Sense or Excel? As I understood you just made a script in Excel.

Saravanan_Desingh

This is Qlik Sense Script.

You have replace the File and its path in the Script.

Taoufiq_Zarra

@thundera1z 

attached qliksense file

Dimension : Year

Measure1  : count

Max(Aggr(count(Genre), Year,Genre))

Measure 2:Genre

FirstSortedValue(Genre, -Aggr(count(Genre), Year,Genre))

output :

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA