Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to insert a link to link a pdf file in QlikSense?

I would like to insert a link on Qlik Sense sheet to link to a pdf file at local computer.

I tried Text&image object, but it only supports URL.

How could I insert a link on Qlik Sense sheet to link to a pdf file at local computer?

The final Qlik Sense app will be put at Qlik server and Web server.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
harvinderjohal
Creator
Creator

Qlik Sense is web based and is device agnostic.  Web applications cannot access local file systems - you cannot read or write files to an arbitrary folder (for example:  'My Documents' or 'My Pictures'); Web Browsers limit this is by design.

For example, read the security section here: 

JavaScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"scripts run in a sandbox in which they can only perform Web-related actions, not general-purpose programming tasks like creating files"

Securing Your Web Browser

"JavaScript, also known as ECMAScript, is a scripting language that is used to make websites more interactive. There are specifications in the JavaScript standard that restrict certain features such as accessing local files."

If you have a webserver on the deployment machine, publish the .PDF file to a folder that is shared on the webserver for access via a URL.

For example, let say your machine is called DocServer, and the folder is called Docs.  The URL for access then would be something like: http://DocServer/Docs/pdfdocumentname.pdf.

Harvey

If this post is helpful or answers your question, please flag the post as 'Helpful' or 'Answered'

View solution in original post

8 Replies
harvinderjohal
Creator
Creator

Qlik Sense is web based and is device agnostic.  Web applications cannot access local file systems - you cannot read or write files to an arbitrary folder (for example:  'My Documents' or 'My Pictures'); Web Browsers limit this is by design.

For example, read the security section here: 

JavaScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"scripts run in a sandbox in which they can only perform Web-related actions, not general-purpose programming tasks like creating files"

Securing Your Web Browser

"JavaScript, also known as ECMAScript, is a scripting language that is used to make websites more interactive. There are specifications in the JavaScript standard that restrict certain features such as accessing local files."

If you have a webserver on the deployment machine, publish the .PDF file to a folder that is shared on the webserver for access via a URL.

For example, let say your machine is called DocServer, and the folder is called Docs.  The URL for access then would be something like: http://DocServer/Docs/pdfdocumentname.pdf.

Harvey

If this post is helpful or answers your question, please flag the post as 'Helpful' or 'Answered'

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Finally, we get a walk around in Qlik mashup.

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

Can you please be more accurate on the work around you're talking about here? This is definitely something I want to achieve and I can't figure out how.

Is Harvey's answer the solution you put in place on your side?

Thanks a lot in advance.

OM

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Please try:

<a href="myfile.pdf">Download myPDFfile</a>

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Can you explain this a little better? It's not clear how you utilize the html tag within Qlik Sense.

Thanks!

vsabbise
Creator
Creator

Hi,

Could you elaborate on this one please. I am looking for something similar in Qlik Sense. Instead of a PDF file it could be text file or rtf, word etc., Is there a way to achieve this in Qlik sense ?
buffalome90210
Contributor III
Contributor III

Well this reply is certainly garbage, how about a solution ?

HaylarTech
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Update:  Modern Web Browsers are locked down.  IE11 will work, but the issue is around malicious code being executed.

That said, someone built a Chrome extension that works around the issue of opening local files but has built in the logic to only allow for links to be executed vs. code.  

Here's the Chrome extension I found:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enable-local-file-links/nikfmfgobenbhmocjaaboihbeocackld?h...