Qlik Community

New to Qlik Sense

Discussion board where members can get started with Qlik Sense.

Announcements
Qlik® Product Spotlight: Discover what’s possible. Get more from our products.
See for yourself. Register today.
datalakeyu
Not applicable

How to insert a link to link a pdf file in QlikSense?

I would like to insert a link on Qlik Sense sheet to link to a pdf file at local computer.

I tried Text&image object, but it only supports URL.

How could I insert a link on Qlik Sense sheet to link to a pdf file at local computer?

The final Qlik Sense app will be put at Qlik server and Web server.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hja
Not applicable

Re: How to insert a link to link a pdf file in QlikSense?

Qlik Sense is web based and is device agnostic.  Web applications cannot access local file systems - you cannot read or write files to an arbitrary folder (for example:  'My Documents' or 'My Pictures'); Web Browsers limit this is by design.

For example, read the security section here: 

JavaScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"scripts run in a sandbox in which they can only perform Web-related actions, not general-purpose programming tasks like creating files"

Securing Your Web Browser

"JavaScript, also known as ECMAScript, is a scripting language that is used to make websites more interactive. There are specifications in the JavaScript standard that restrict certain features such as accessing local files."

If you have a webserver on the deployment machine, publish the .PDF file to a folder that is shared on the webserver for access via a URL.

For example, let say your machine is called DocServer, and the folder is called Docs.  The URL for access then would be something like: http://DocServer/Docs/pdfdocumentname.pdf.

Harvey

If this post is helpful or answers your question, please flag the post as 'Helpful' or 'Answered'

7 Replies
hja
Not applicable

Qlik Sense is web based and is device agnostic.  Web applications cannot access local file systems - you cannot read or write files to an arbitrary folder (for example:  'My Documents' or 'My Pictures'); Web Browsers limit this is by design.

For example, read the security section here: 

JavaScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"scripts run in a sandbox in which they can only perform Web-related actions, not general-purpose programming tasks like creating files"

Securing Your Web Browser

"JavaScript, also known as ECMAScript, is a scripting language that is used to make websites more interactive. There are specifications in the JavaScript standard that restrict certain features such as accessing local files."

If you have a webserver on the deployment machine, publish the .PDF file to a folder that is shared on the webserver for access via a URL.

For example, let say your machine is called DocServer, and the folder is called Docs.  The URL for access then would be something like: http://DocServer/Docs/pdfdocumentname.pdf.

Harvey

If this post is helpful or answers your question, please flag the post as 'Helpful' or 'Answered'

datalakeyu
Not applicable

Finally, we get a walk around in Qlik mashup.

Not applicable

Hello,

Can you please be more accurate on the work around you're talking about here? This is definitely something I want to achieve and I can't figure out how.

Is Harvey's answer the solution you put in place on your side?

Thanks a lot in advance.

OM

datalakeyu
Not applicable

Please try:

<a href="myfile.pdf">Download myPDFfile</a>

mitchjb2008
Not applicable

Can you explain this a little better? It's not clear how you utilize the html tag within Qlik Sense.

Thanks!

vsabbise
Not applicable

Hi,

Could you elaborate on this one please. I am looking for something similar in Qlik Sense. Instead of a PDF file it could be text file or rtf, word etc., Is there a way to achieve this in Qlik sense ?
buffalome90210
Not applicable

Well this reply is certainly garbage, how about a solution ?