Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to plot more than 12 lines on a line chart?

Hi all,

I'm new to QS but familiar with QV.

I want to plot a chart showing bodyweight change over time for multiple individuals.

My first dimension is the study_day, the second, sibject_id. The measure is avg(bodyweight).

I have about 60 individuals in the study and so was expecting to see 60lines.But it appears that QS tops out at showing only 10-12. Is there a way to overcome this and see all lines. Or have I hit a QS limitation?

Thanks all!

Mark

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Mark,

Hope you are doing Good.

I have analysed your application and found it is working fine as per default rule of Line Chart.

I am attaching your application as how you want it with all value are coming as lines.

Now by default option in line chart is Continuous Scale(Attaching Snapshot) ,where only Line comes w.r.t. those values on X axis which has continuous scale or I can say has values are present for  X axis values.

But when you Un Check this option(Continuous Scale) it will give you all the lines.

It is on client requirement or wish how he or she want to see the chart.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Rohit Kumar

View solution in original post

8 Replies
gdebeer
Contributor II
Contributor II

I have just created a line chart with over 200 lines, so it is definitely not a limitation.

Do you have any limitations set on the sibject_id dimension? This should be set to "No limitation".

If this is not what is causing this behaviour, you may want to upload a qvf file of your data set, for people here to further help you.

jayaseelan
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

Can you please post your screen shot and explain what you what to get as output.

Thanks,

Not applicable
Author

Attached is a qvf of the chart in question...

Thanks in advance

Mark

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jayaseelan

Can you please explain your data struct and what type of value in it. please attach a dummy file with unreal values,so I can create a sample qvf for you and please explain what exactly you are trying to achieve ?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for your response. The data is attached.

I want to create a chart of body weight over time that shows for all subjects.

The idea is to use the chart to spot individuals whose BW is falling.

Currently I get this output... With only 12 lines?!

Capture2.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mark,

Hope you are doing Good.

I have analysed your application and found it is working fine as per default rule of Line Chart.

I am attaching your application as how you want it with all value are coming as lines.

Now by default option in line chart is Continuous Scale(Attaching Snapshot) ,where only Line comes w.r.t. those values on X axis which has continuous scale or I can say has values are present for  X axis values.

But when you Un Check this option(Continuous Scale) it will give you all the lines.

It is on client requirement or wish how he or she want to see the chart.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Rohit Kumar

Not applicable
Author

Many thanks Rohit,

Its not particularly satisfactory as the x axis for this data set is actually continuous, and not categorical/ordinal, so the visualisation should really reflect this.

Id be interested to hear more about the default line rules. Do you know why it is setup this way.

Many thanks once again.

Mark

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mark ,

This feature use where client want continues lines with respect to x axis let's say with respect to date or time .Some time non continues doesn't give your proper picture , like how can you get the real trend . Usually line charts are for trends and people make a picture of trend usually for date and time and they get confused why line is breaking , so we use master calendar here . Second thing continuing scale draw line only for those value which can make a line fully . What I can suggest try to use bar chart for your case or bubble chart .

Please mark my comment helpful if it make any sense for you