Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to select multiple fields to drag and drop as measures or dimensions on an object?

Is there a way to select multiple fields at one time and drag & drop onto a table object?

In QlikView I can pull all the fields at one time into a table or straight table.  It seems Qlik Sense forces you to select one field at a time just to load a simple table!!!  Am I missing something?

I use this method of loading available data to analyze the data to ensure I am getting what I am expecting.  Some of my "preview" tables have 50 fields!! Dragging and Dropping one field at a time does not seem productive.

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I don't think you're missing anything except maybe that Qlik Sense is not the kind of tool one would use to create preview tables with 50 fields. Qlik Sense strong point is allowing users to create documents for interactive analysis of data. Large preview tables do not fit that bill imho.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I use Qlik Sense as my R&D tool for data discovery and quick builds of prototypes that will eventually be converted to QlikView.  We have lots of data that requires ETL to check and clean data.

It is disappointing to hear that Qlik Sense is not designed to handle such a requirement in light of the fact that Qlik Sense can perform Direct Query into large datasets.  It just seems counter-intuitive.

Thanks for your response and insight.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I use Qlik Sense as my R&D tool for data discovery and quick builds of prototypes that will eventually be converted to QlikView.  We have lots of data that requires ETL to check and clean data.

That is the user audience that Qlik Sense targets. The kind of data analysis you do is not data discovery that end users engage in. I'd use Qlikview for that kind of data exploration, not Qlik Sense. It would make more sense to do the data analysis and prototyping in Qlikview and then develop documents in Qlik Sense then vice versa imo.

This blog post may give you insights in my reasoning for this: http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-vs-qlik-sense/

It is disappointing to hear that Qlik Sense is not designed to handle such a requirement in light of the fact that Qlik Sense can perform Direct Query into large datasets.  It just seems counter-intuitive.

As I said I think you're misunderstanding the target user audience of Qlik Sense. I wouldn't expect that the kind of short cut you're complaining about should be a UI design priority for Qlik Sense. It is possible to create a table with 50 dimensions and hardly any user of the targeted audience will actually need to do that. That and given that Qlik Sense is still in its early stages of its life cylce it makes perfect sense to me that your requirement has not been implemented yet.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand