Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to use single table for multiple times in Qlik Sense modeling?

Hello Experts,

I am very much new to Qlik Sense. I even don't have prior idea about Qlik View. I have a question here. How to use a Dim Date table multiple times in Qlik Sense modeling? Below is example for that

I have a FACT table which has multiple date keys like Order_Placed_Date_key, Billed_Date_Key, Shipped_Date_key, Delivery_Date_Key etc... Here I want to join my Dim Date table to all these keys to create some analysis on top of it.

How to do this in Qlik Sense modeling? Please explain this.

Thanks in Adavance

--Hari

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

If I understood you correctly, Order_Placed_Date_key, Billed_Date_Key, Shipped_Date_key, Delivery_Date_Key etc are all in fact table so connected. Now create dimension table and name the date key you want to map with theses keys,

as one of "Order_Placed_Date_key, Billed_Date_Key, Shipped_Date_key, Delivery_Date_Key ". Qlik sense automatically maps the values if the field names are same. For example, if you create a dimension table with date field as Order_Placed_Date_key, you will have a mapping established between fact and dimension on this fields.

hope am clear and it helps you.

Not applicable
Author

Hello Shiva,

As you said I will rename Date_key in Dim Date as 'Order_Create_Date_Key' and I will join Fact and Dim Date. Like this I have multiple date keys n Fact table. For join all other date keys I need multiple DimDate in that model with different alias name. How to get other Dim Date into QlikSense model. This is what my confusion here.

--Hari

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Hari, You need not do that. for example you have fields like

Order_Placed_Date_keyBilled_Date_KeyShipped_Date_keyDelivery_Date_Key
1/1/20171/2/20171/3/20171/4/2017

When you go the date Order_Placed_Date_key is mapped to fact, all the selections will be automatically reflected. You need not get each date mapped with the date.

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi Hari,

looks like you need to think about using 'Canonical Dates' , you should check out the following article:

Canonical Date

HTH

Andy

karthiksrqv
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

You'll have to one table per Date field in your FACT. The new table's field and the FACT tables field names would have to be the same.