Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
onkar1988
Contributor III
Contributor III

Ignore filter selection in another filter (dimension)

Hi all!

I'd been looking through Community about that but I couldn't find solution to our problem:

• Facts:
    • I've a dimension-only straight table with columns Country and Product.
    • We also have a filter pane with date dimension - 'Old Period' values like (2010,2011) etc. and 2nd filter - Product
    • In table set analysis expression is applied and it's working in order to ignore selection in  'old period' filter in the Product dimension column.  ONLY({$<[Old Period]=>}Product)
  • Question:
    • What can we do to make Product filter ignore the Old period  filter selection?
    • Or simply how can I write above expression in the Product dimension filter expression?

Regards,

Onkar Kulkarni

Labels (1)
4 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be use Alternate State

onkar1988
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks @sunny_talwar 

Is there any way to handle it without alternate state?

Regards,

Onkar Kulkarni

andersonvz
Contributor
Contributor

@onkar1988 wrote:

Hi all!

I'd been looking through Community about that but I couldn't find solution to our problem:

• Facts:
    • I've a dimension-only straight table with columns Country and Product.
    • We also have a filter pane with date dimension - 'Old Period' values like (2010,2011) etc. and 2nd filter - Product McDVOICE
    • In table set analysis expression is applied and it's working in order to ignore selection in  'old period' filter in the Product dimension column.  ONLY({$<[Old Period]=>}Product)
  • Question:
    • What can we do to make Product filter ignore the Old period  filter selection?
    • Or simply how can I write above expression in the Product dimension filter expression?

Regards,

Onkar Kulkarni

This is not really an issue. It is clearly explained in this article from Alberto. It is happening because of Auto Exist feature in DAX. Besides, creating a seperate dimension table is not really a workaround, but rather a best practice. A Star Schema is always considered best when working with Power BI Datamodel. This is what makes it more powerful!

onkar1988
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

@andersonvz  : Thanks for your reply. Could you please share the link of Alberto's article.

I am looking for a solution without using alternate state, probably using set analysis.