Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

In Qliksense creating a master measure based on other master measures

In Qlik Sense I created a first master measure A based on a field.

I need to create a new master measure B based on the master measure A, but I can't use in an expression - the editor seems to only let me use fields.

Is it possible that Qlik Sense doesn't support derived measures?.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi

as far as i know ,

you can only use fields in expressions

but if you have the formula of the measure , you can reuse it in the other measure also

View solution in original post

5 Replies
lironbaram
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

hi

as far as i know ,

you can only use fields in expressions

but if you have the formula of the measure , you can reuse it in the other measure also

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Liron.

It will be hard to maintain but I guess I have no choice to copy/paste the expressions accross measures. My bad I guess I'm too used to the comfort of MicroStrategy's derived expressions 🙂

rstickle
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi,

You might want to look at using variables might work for you in your situation.  It may allow you to manage the formula in one spot and not have to copy / paste it repeatedly.  I've included a link to the online help.

Using variables in expressions ‒ Qlik Sense

wizardo
Creator III
Creator III

thats a good workaround but...... it seems like its kinda negate the use of master items

. in qlikview we did "master items" by using variables

here we have master tiems but inorder to reuse them we need to store them in variable

so what gives lol

i have

sum({<Country={'USA'}>} sales) as one master item names "USA Sales"

and i have

sum(Total Sales) as a another master item named "Total Overall Sales"

no i want to create  a new master item

and i would think i should be able to do this

[USA Sales] / [Total Overall Sales] and call it "USA % From All Sales" (or somthing like that)

that seems to me one of the main reasons to use master items

otherwise .....well i will have to create alot of master items and keep maintaining them

silly in my eyes

Daniel

paolo_mapelli
Creator II
Creator II

I totally agree. Moreover, with introduction of variables, master items became almost totally useless.

Another feature that is commonly missed between variables and master items is the ability to organize them in folders/categories. In my case, to get over QSense limits, I had to write a huge amount of variables, most of them ported from master items, and I had to organize them by using a kind of "hierarchical naming convention".

Of course I have to hope everyday that an end user doesn't asks for changes, since maintenance could be a nightmare.

Ciao.

Paolo.