Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II

Including values in chart which aren't in dataset

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. I've got a chart looking at grades achieved for a particular module. I've hit a bit of a snag however, I'd like each chart to display all the potential grades across the horizontal axis, including those not recorded in the dataset. e.g a module might have any number of the following grades - A+, B+, C, D+, D, F. 

What I'd like to do is include the full list of grades which could have been achieved so the axis would read A+, A, B+, B, C+, C, D+, D, MF, F.

I tried adding in an inline table (see below) and turned on 'show null values' but they don't appear.

LOAD * inline [
Grade
A+
A
B+
B
C+
C
D+
D
MF
F
DF
IN
NC
NR
NS];

Does anyone have any ideas whether this is possible?

Appreciated.

Matt

7 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Just  thought,

Have you tried (in your load script) to concatenate your Inline table above with your source data grades table to create a new table which contains all the grade dimension values that you want to show?

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks for the reply. I tried this but it didn't seem to work. When change the selected module, the grades visible on the chart still change.
Frank_S
Support
Support

If you need certain grades not to change, consider using set analysis.

In fact you can insert set analysis functions using the function editor.

In this example I've created a Master items alternate state with 2020 as a selection.

Then 'insert' that alternate state to the chart I want to apply it to. (You do not need to type the code. The insert action creates it for you. Here Inserted the '2020' alternate state. You can also insert a bookmark or 'selections' made before opening the function editor.

Not sure if that will meet your requirement but it's something you can try....

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks for the suggestion. I understand where you're coming from but I think I haven't described my issues very clearly so I'll try again.

The POSSIBLE grades range from A+ to F. Our data contains grades ACHIEVED by students. The students grades may not include certain grades e.g. results may include 1 x A+, 2 x A, 3 x B-, 4 x C. What we'd like to do is put these results on a chart but include the grades which weren't achieved on the axis (e.g. A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- etc...).

I'm not sure whether this is even possible! Hope this makes sense though.

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

simply add dummy data rows to your data set

for example

FACT

Load * inline [

Grade,Student,GPA

A,John,3.1

B,Doe,2

];

Concatenate(FACT)

//ADD LIST OF ALL GRADES TO THE FACT TABLE

Load * Inline [

GRADE

A

B

C

.F

];

This way all grades will show up in your charts simply make sure to check

Include Zero Values under Data Handling>>Add-Ons

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
mattphillip
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this already and it didn't work. Certain modules still only contain grades achieved, rather than all the grades possible. Not sure what to try next.
vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

Can you post some sample data and what you tried

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.