Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Der_Unbekante_234
Contributor II
Contributor II

Join tables and keep the columns

Hello together,

I have a problem and hope, that someone could help me.

I have:

Table 1: ID, Supplier name, Adress, Location, ...

Table 2: Supplier-ID, Rating, Performance, ...

I want to join Table 1 with Table 2 with the columns ID and Supplier-ID. Both contains the same ID's, but Table 2 has more ID's which are missing in Table 1.

I want to have only the ID's, which are in both tables and also want to have/keep the different columns like Performance, Rating, Supplier name, Adress and so on.

If I use 'INNER JOIN' then I have only the Supplier-ID from Table 2 and the other columns are missing then. Does someone know, how I could solve this issue?

Thanks in Advance.

Labels (5)
5 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you Inner Join using all the fields, then all fields should be retained.

Inner Join (Table1)
LOAD * Resident Table2;

-Rob

Der_Unbekante_234
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for your answer 🙂 Yes, I want to use all fields, but how it will know, which field to match from both tables? Where I can write, that it should take the ID from Table 1 and the Supplier-ID from Table2?

And there is one more problem, which I forgot to mention. I have more tables of 1, which should be joined to Table2. Is there a possible way to do it? The tables of 1 are shown as one at the Datamanger, because they have the same columns, but are different sheets/excel files.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Like named fields will match, you cannot specify which fieldnames to match on.  So you have a few choices.

1. Rename "ID" to "Supplier-ID" in Table1. I would think this option would be cleanest. 

2. Rename Supplier-ID to ID as you load Table2.

Inner Join (Table1)
LOAD Supplier_ID as ID, 
  Rating, Performance, ...
Resident Table2;

Der_Unbekante_234
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for your advice. 

I have last question. If I load a file in the Data Editor, then it creates automatically this query for table 1:

FROM [lib://.........csv]

(txt, utf8, embedded lavels, delimiter is '\t', msq);

For table 2 it looks like this:

FROM [lib://.........xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is tbl_JD_PE);

I guess it's because of the using of different datafiles (xlsx and csv). Where do I know, how the first table is called? Like for table 2 it's tbl_JD_PE.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

A best practice is to use an explicit table label in the script: 

MyTable:
LOAD *
FROM [lib://.........csv]
(txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is '\t', msq);

This will create a table named "MyTable". 

If you do not provide a label statement, the assigned table name will depend on the file type. For txt files, the default is the filename.

-Rob
http://www.easyqlik.com
http://masterssummit.com
http://qlikviewcookbook.com