cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qlikwiz123
Creator III
Creator III

Load Excel files from a local location in Qlik Sense instead of attaching them

Just like QlikView, how do I create a connection within Qlik Sense to access and load files that are in my local folder? Every time there are updates made to the files, I need to drag or add them manually and reload the script. Wondering if there is a way to point to the files' location directly.

FYI, I have looked into https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-Qlik-Sense/Loading-Data-from-Harddisk-Not-as-attached-file/td-p... and this didn't seem to help as I don't have access to Server app location.

I am accessing Qlik Sense from my browser and my firm does not give me access to sharefolder\StaticContent\AppContent\

location on the server.

Labels (3)
5 Replies
Nick_Asilo
Support
Support

@qlikwiz123 

So my answer will be yes and no. Reviewing our  Documentation on using local and folder locations a path like C:\data\DataFiles\ is a valid local file path for a folder location. 

But this path must be accessible by the engine service on the server running the load script.

So, if you are developing and running an app using Qlik Sense Desktop on your local machine, then yeah for testing a development you could use a local file path. But this will only be accessible to you.

Or if you have a single node deployment and the file is stored on the Qlik Sense server and the Service Account has Read and Write permissions, that could work but falls apart once you add a second node.

A UNC path open and accessible to the Qlik Sense Service Account is the best option, so if you don't have access to \\sharefolder\StaticContent\AppContent\ you can create a different shared folder the SA can reach to read the files from and create a folder connection in the load script pointing to that share.

2 notes to keep in mind:

1. Folder Data Connections do not work with mapped drives 
  2. The default security rules restrict who can create a Folder Data Connection 

So, I'd review the few articles I've linked and work with your organization to find the best solution and rights permission for your organization.

Best Regards,
Nick

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

You cannot create Local folder connections on Enterprise Qlik Sense Server

Simply because the QlikSense server does not have access your Local Machine.

The ideal solution is to have Network Access Storage or SFTP / FTP drives that are accessible from the Server 

where users can create folders /upload files and then create Folder connections to those locations from QlikSense 

Engage with the QlikSense administrator in your organization

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
qlikwiz123
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@vinieme12 

Assuming there is SFTP/FTP Drive locations, how do I create connections to that location from Qlik Sense on Server?

Nick_Asilo
Support
Support

There is an FTP/SFTP connector bundled with the Qlik Web connectors, some of the relevant documentation is linked below.

FTP/SFTP
Connecting to data sources
Installing Qlik Web Connectors

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

Your QlikSense Administrator should create the connections to respective  folders in the SFTP drive and assign users access to those connections as needed

reach out to your QlikSense Administrator / support team

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.