Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Manage multiple copies to avoid multiple refresh

I am pretty new to Qlik and my question may  have a very simple answer. Looking to understand:

Suppose a QVF is created and published to a stream. Now the users who have access to the stream started to explore this new data set and dashboards. If one of the users wants to add some new analysis he will have to create  a copy of this app and that new app will sit in work folder. Lets call them Original.QVF and Copy.QVF.

Original.QVF is set to refresh daily but how does Copy.QVF gets refresh. Couple of questions:

1). Are these 2 separate apps now (assuming yes)

2). Does refreshing Original.QVF  , automatically refreshes Copy.QVF (assuming no)

3). If Original.QVF and Copy.QVF both are refreshed separately then are we not effectively reloading the same data twice (assuming yes)

4). What is the best way to only refresh once and so the data set gets refreshed in all of the copies? (waiting to assume)

If someone can throw some light in my dark room:-)

Thanks

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If one of the users wants to add some new analysis he will have to create  a copy of this app and that new app will sit in work folder.

That's not correct as long as no changes to the data model are necessary. A user can create new sheets or duplicate existing sheets in the published app. The new sheet will be shown in the users My Sheets section. The user can then add new visualizations and analyses. That user sheet won't be visible to the other users until the creator publishes that sheet. It will then be visible to the other users in the app in the Community section of the app.

Only when a user needs to change the logic that loads the data into the app does she/he need to duplicate the app. Preferably such changes should be compatible with the original model. The modified app can then be published back over the original and everybody will see/use the same data model. This prevents having everybody having it's own version of truth and their own alternative facts.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

A follow-up questions:

Will I be able to create new master measures/dimensions and variables in the published app?

Thanks