Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Market Demands in Qliksense

From a developer's point of which is better qlikview or qliksense and market demands favour which one qlikview or qliksense?

4 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Both use almost the same script and the same expressions, so for you as a developer using (only) Qlik Sense or QlikView, the difference is not that big.

Just to give you an idea: Qlik Education Services offers a 1 day "Qlik Sense for QlikView Developers" training to get QlikView developers ready to go and be a Qlik Sense developer that covers the otherwise 5 days of base training.

Unless of course you want to use functionality not supported by the product. In that case you could argue that Sense is offering you more integration and extension options.

May you live in interesting times!
MK9885
Master II
Master II

For developers Qlikview is good as we've lot of options already available. And in Qlik sense we need extensions for pretty much everything out of box (even for buttons).

Scripting/Expressions are same for both.

But as a user point of view Qlik Sense is much better, it is feel look and good look app. More important it is self serve for users and can be used on any mobile device.

I'd assume as Qlik sense is just at 3.1 version, they are still developing it and adding more features with each release. But you can say Qlik Sense will be the future with regards to usability for end users.

I personally prefer Qlik View but trying to adjust to Qlik Sense as it is fun to use, just drag and drop with not much hassle.

You'll notice the difference you start using both.

Curretly I see more demand for Qlik Sense but to use that you need to have some idea of the app or used Qlikview before.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Both of You.

-Vigneshwaran M K

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Vigneshwaran,

I would also like to chime in here as I was recently asked this question in an interview for a periodical:

Here is the Q/A:

Q: Can Qlik Sense do everything that QlikView can? How?

Mike Tarallo: We get this question a lot. Short answer is Yes and No.  First it is important to note that QlikView and Qlik Sense use the same exact powerful engine. So both products are benefiting from the speed and performance of the QIX indexing associative engine, that which makes Qlik unique. The power of green, white and gray – the associative experience is still a huge part of Qlik’s products, and it is this capability that helps organizations find the unexpected, ask the next question and see the whole story that lives within their data…..But, the way you designe a specific user interface or user interaction in QlikView, has evolved and therefore there may be a better way to achieve the same or similar functionality in Qlik Sense, OR perhaps what you designed in QlikView may not make much sense in Qlik Sense, ( i.e. Layering which does not existing in Qlik Sense due to its mobile ready responsive design and adaptive grid. ) QlikView has more of a develop / publish / consume model where you can make very specific dashboards and user interactions and provide multiple layers.  Qlik Sense – while it can certainly cater to the develop / publish / consume model – also allows for self-service and embedded uses cases. It has a more streamlined user interface and richer API layer built on open standards.

We built Qlik Sense to leverage popular open standard developmental specifications and developmental syntax. JSON, CSS3, HTML5 and JavaScript to be exact. These are very common within the web world when developing apps. Basically, anyone who knows how to develop web apps using these can work with our robust set of APIs to create basically anything they can think of. We have an Engine API that allows you to interact with data at all levels. You can develop your own front-end client interface the way you want and leverage the benefits of our indexing engine (QIX). We also have what we call our Capability APIs which allow developers to easily embed Qlik content into their own web applications with just a few lines of code. These APIs consist of the Root API, App API, Visualization API, Selection API.  You can also simply call a Qlik Sense APP URL into an iframe and embed it into a CRM like Salesforce. I believe the simple answer here is … you have many choices of how you wish to deploy Qlik Sense and you are limited by your imagination, not the software. Don’t believe me? Check out our developer exchange network Qlik branch http://branch.qlik.com/#!/ and its sister site the Qlik Playground: http://branch.qlik.com/#!/blog/57e297eb34193fe96af041a0 - you will see some amazing “things” created by those with a thirst for making their dreams become reality.

Due note that we recognize there are certain capabilities in QlikView that would also make sense in Qlik Sense and we do take that into consideration and add these features accordingly. While making sure said features do not interfere with the ease of use that Qlik Sense users have already come to love. So, 4+ years ago we started a project,  QlikView.Next. We asked ourselves “How would we build the next generation of QlikView software?” Using today’s modern technology and open standards, Qlik Sense became that next generation product, therefore becoming a new product with most of the goodness of QlikView. QlikView  allows me to feel really cool and powerful because I can make QlikView bend to my will, however that does not necessarily mean what I can create as a developer may necessarily benefit the user. If you need to be all that powerful and have so much control with Qlik Sense, there is a much better and modern way to do that using Web Mash-ups, APIs and open standards such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript and JSON.

Hope this information is useful to you.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik