Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reshma_km
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Mashup editor

Hi,

I don't know the basics of web development. So excuse me if this question sounds silly. I was going through the mashup editor in Qliksense November 2017. When I created a basic mashup, there were no .wbl file, but in some videos I heard about it. I was able to see only .qext, .html, .css and .js files along with a .jpg file. Is it version specific? .wbl is not needed anymore?

And once I have these 4 or 5 files ready, how can I integrate it to an actual website. Say for test purpose? For testing and demo of single configurator,  I wrote a simple html code in notepad and saved it as a .htm file. I used single configurator to generate iframe and url and pasted them in my small html code and I was able to see it in my browser. Can I achieve something like this for testing mashup editor? As you can see, I am just a beginner in web technologies. Please help me. How can I integrate the mashup editor files so that I can give a live demo?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds sensible to start with the Qlik bits you are comfortable with.

But one cannot access mashups from the "Hub" per se, I presume you mean the "Dev Hub".  Although when you have cranked up the Mashup in a web browser via the "Dev Hub" you can save the url in your web browser as a shortcut and then crank it up directly from your web browser using that shortcut.  Probably wise in your demo not to show the "Dev Hub" as when a mashup goes live the user will probably save the url to a web browser shortcut and access it that way.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have Qlik Sense Desktop or Server ?

If Desktop then you will only be able to access the mash up via a local web browser on your laptop whilst your Qlik Sense Desktop is running to act as a local web server.  The simplest way to open the mash up is in your local Qlik Dev Hub right click the mashup and click View.

If Server then you can import it via QMC and access for any web client as long as it suitable access permissions licensing.

The wbl file is auto created when you create a mashup via the Desktop Mash Up Editor and simply contains a list the files that comprise the mashup.  Apart from the Desktop Mash Editor I am not aware of anything that uses it.

reshma_km
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

I am using hub.

I can see the mashup I created from the dev hub when I give the view option. What I am asking is, how will we integrate this to another web portal, say like an internal non-qlik website?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say hub, do you mean :

• Web browser accessing the Hub of a local Qlik Sense freebie Desktop installation ?

or

• Web browser accessing the Hub of a server based Qlik Sense Enterprise installation with paid for licences ?
reshma_km
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

the second option.

Web browser accessing the Hub of a server based Qlik Sense Enterprise installation with paid for licences

Anonymous
Not applicable

A Qlik Sense Mashup is a web site with 2 main methods of presenting data from Qlik :

• Embedding viz objects obtained from a qvf
  • Extracting hypercube data from a qvf into a json array for presentation via html

I would suggest that all you need in order to give a demo is a single mashup that presents your required Qlik data.

Having a plan of what you want to present is a good idea, which may comprise something like

• A couple of list boxes for selecting things
  • 3 or 4 KPI's
  • A table
  • A bar chart
  • A line chart

Something like that could suffice for a demo.

One thing I did for an early demo I gave was to add in an iframe to a weather web site, as weather conditions affect our business operations.  Thus I was able to demo the concept of visualising the correlation of external factors & data, as in the weather, to our internal operations and its data.

Whist doing this I progressed from using the Qlik Mashup Editor to directly editting the files the mashup comprises of with Notepad++‌‌,  other text editors are available such as Atom

reshma_km
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi,

I have a doubt. "One thing I did for an early demo I gave was to add in an iframe to a weather web site, as weather conditions affect our business operations" - here, you added the iframe containing data from an external site to your Qliksense mashup developed using mashup editor?

Anonymous
Not applicable

A mashup is a web page that uses Qlik API's to retrieve Qlik Data / Objects.

And being a web page one can do anything that the web technologies you use allow you to do.  So as long as one has network permission to an external web site one can add an iframe from it.

BUT:  I did not use the Qlik mashup editor for this I directly editted the mashup files using Notepad++

One thing I have been toying with doing in a mashup is getting historical data, as in yesterday and earlier, from Qlik via API's and today's latest data by accessing the live operational database directly.  Thus having a website exploiting Qlik strengths for slicing and dicing masses of historical data whilst only have a daily reload, but giving visibility of the latest data by querying the live operational database directly.

I have not actually done this yet but would like to give it a go in due course.

reshma_km
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Ok. So assuming that I use mashup editor now (and I am only a beginner in anything other than qlik), what I can do is create a mashup using the available templates and display it to customer from hub itself. Is that right?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds sensible to start with the Qlik bits you are comfortable with.

But one cannot access mashups from the "Hub" per se, I presume you mean the "Dev Hub".  Although when you have cranked up the Mashup in a web browser via the "Dev Hub" you can save the url in your web browser as a shortcut and then crank it up directly from your web browser using that shortcut.  Probably wise in your demo not to show the "Dev Hub" as when a mashup goes live the user will probably save the url to a web browser shortcut and access it that way.