Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swebster
Contributor II
Contributor II

Master dimension - cannot allocate colours?

Hi,

I am using QlikSense 3.2 SR4, and am having problems setting colours for unique categories on a Master Dimension. All guidance I have seen suggests that this can be accessed via 'edit' when right-clicking the master dimension, but there is no color option on my edit screen?

Master dimension edit.JPG

I would normally just color by dimension in the appropriate graph, and select 'persistent colours' - however, on the bar graph, the 'persistent colors' box is blanked out so I can't de-select:

Persistent colours box.JPG

The problem here is that when I select persistent colours for this dimension on two different graphs, the colours assigned are not unique - there are two categories that have the same colour (personal identifiers have been blanked):

Caseload.JPGTelephone records.JPG

When I de-select the 'persistent colours' box in the Cases Open to Monitoring graph, the colours are unique as per the normal 12 color order (dark blue, mid blue, light blue, teal, green, etc...), but are different to those in the bar chart (as the bar chart is 'forced' persistent colours, I cannot de-select the tick box - thus there are still two different categories that are pink). 

I know this probably has something to do with there being overall more than 12 categories in the Master Dimension - but these are mostly null values, and I am only visualising 9 (I have de-selected 'Include null values'). I have also tried creating a Master Dimension using a nested if statement to only create 9 categories within the dimension, but I still get the same problem.

Can anybody help? Thank you

EDIT: I should say, the persistent colours are uniform across both graphs when I select the 100 colors scheme, but it really is hideous... there are two shades of yellow, luminous pink and luminous purple, it doesn't look very professional!

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

Hi Swebster,

Setting the color on values in a dimension was released in June 2017 if I remember correctly. That's why it's not available for you. 

Persistent color is based on the element ID assigned to the value when you load in the data. Therefore "value 1" get's "color 1", "value 2" gets "color 2" and so on until it repeats after 12 colors. So you may have "value 1" and "value 13" having the same color. Removing Null will not change the ID it gets assigned when loaded. 

Even creating a new dimension using just the 9 values the will still have the same ID as when they were loaded. 

The only way I can think of that would fix it in your version is to re-order the values when loading the data. Make sure the 9 values you want to show are the first to be loaded.

Regards,

Patrik. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

Hi Swebster,

Setting the color on values in a dimension was released in June 2017 if I remember correctly. That's why it's not available for you. 

Persistent color is based on the element ID assigned to the value when you load in the data. Therefore "value 1" get's "color 1", "value 2" gets "color 2" and so on until it repeats after 12 colors. So you may have "value 1" and "value 13" having the same color. Removing Null will not change the ID it gets assigned when loaded. 

Even creating a new dimension using just the 9 values the will still have the same ID as when they were loaded. 

The only way I can think of that would fix it in your version is to re-order the values when loading the data. Make sure the 9 values you want to show are the first to be loaded.

Regards,

Patrik. 

swebster
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks - I will chase up our Qlik administrator and see if we will be getting an update any time soon... I have also been confused as to why the Density Layer in mapping does not work - I see this was introduced in April 2018, so you have answered that one too!

The data is being imported via the Salesforce Connector, so I have added an If statement into the data load editor to restrict the values being imported - this has solved matters. Thanks again.