Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Master items not showing up in Selections tool or Search.

Master items in the sample applications do show up in the Selections tool or in a search.

In a new application, created a new Dimension called Year ( Year(OrderDate) ), saved the application, tried viewing Year in Selection tool or search and it will not show up.

Thanks.

10 Replies
Giuseppe_Novello

Micahel,

Can you provide a sample qvf ? steps to reproduce?

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Michael - I believe I know what is being stated here.

Any derived / new dimension created as a Master Item Dimension - is not displaying in the Global Selections List or the value is not searchable using Global Smart Search - is this correct?

If so, I am not sure if that is by design - or if the plan is to allow newly derived mentioned to be part of the existing loaded data model.

EDIT: The work-around for this is to use the Data Load Editor - and include the expression as part of your data load script. That way it will be part of the data model and should function as you wish.

I created a new Dimension - Category & ' ' & Item

So I would get Fruit Apples as a value for my new Dimension

I can use it in a Select box - but it does not show up in my Global Smart Search or Global Selection list.

I will inquire and find out for you.

Hi Giuseppe Novello - can you ask Product Management about this, citing the explanation I have here, pending Michael's response?

Thanks

Mike Tarallo

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Yes Michael, that is correct.  In your example, "Catitem" is not showing up as a field containing the search string.  Only Item and Category show up.

Just noticed that master items I thought were showing up are actually fields. 

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Michel -

OK great, thanks for confirming my suspicions and verifying your findings - I will inform PM and see what the proposed / planned behavior should / will be.

Please mark the appropriate replies as helpful / correct so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Mike,

Was there any resolution on this question? I am having the same problem. Master items that I have created are not showing up in the selections tool.

Thanks

Russell

Master Items Dimensions.JPG

No Master Items in Selections tool.JPG

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Russell - I will check with PM and update you.

In the mean time, if you create the derived field using the expression in your load script, it will become part of the data model and should be available in the global selections and search as a field.

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Russell -- just following up with you. I heard back from R&D and they are aware of this and this is on the roadmap for improvement over a series of releases.

Just to reiterate - if the expressions (derived fields) are part of the load script (instead of in the Dimensions section of the Master Items) - the dimensions are searchable with Global Smart Search and the Global selections panel.

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Mike,

Thanks for the information. I also discovered it makes a difference how you create the dimension. If you select the field from the list of fields on the left, it shows in the master dimensions. If you type the field into the "Field" box, it does not. This is probably something else that should be fixed

Russell

pindelicato
Contributor III
Contributor III

I just wanted to come back and comment on this, 4 years later, since I was looking for a solution to this, and it is still an issue, 4 years on. But, using the selection and not typing it did work.