Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dosborne
Contributor III
Contributor III

Meaning of multiple Num format string

In solving the problem of specifying number format (space for thousands separator) I came up with 

Num(Sum(measure_name),'# ##0;# ##0','.',' ')

in which "." is dec separator and " " is thousands separator.

This formats both data labels and axis labels in the same way (eg 23 000).

My question is why ? Is it the repeated string  "# ##0" with ";" as delimiter ?

I cannot find any good source of reference material that describes this num format string functionality.

Any help appreciated

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rodj
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi @dosborne ,

yeah it isn't well document is it? A lot of useful stuff like this fell out of the documentation when the Help system was reinvented and Qlik Sense was born. The QlikView help has a little more information that is still relevant in Qlik Sense. Anyway, the second part of the string is to optionally handle negative numbers in a different way, so typically you might see something like:

'# ##0;-# ##0"

to put a negative indication in there. in your case it isn't changing the format at all, so you've no indicator in the format as to whether the number is negative or not.

Cheers,

Rod

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Rodj
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi @dosborne ,

yeah it isn't well document is it? A lot of useful stuff like this fell out of the documentation when the Help system was reinvented and Qlik Sense was born. The QlikView help has a little more information that is still relevant in Qlik Sense. Anyway, the second part of the string is to optionally handle negative numbers in a different way, so typically you might see something like:

'# ##0;-# ##0"

to put a negative indication in there. in your case it isn't changing the format at all, so you've no indicator in the format as to whether the number is negative or not.

Cheers,

Rod

dosborne
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi @Rodj ,

Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie 🙇.

i will read the supplied ref and try  '# ##0" to see if i still get my desired effect.

Thanks