Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thenextlevel
Contributor II
Contributor II

Mimic users in Section Access for Sense

Hello

I'm new to Qlik Sense, but an experienced user of QlikView.

Using Section Access in QlikView we often mimic a user when testing applications in order to 'see what the user sees'. We do this by using the USERID field so that when the app is opened we can enter the USERID of the user we want to mimic. Once we have tested the app we comment out USERID, enable NTNAME and deploy.

It looks like NTNAME has been removed from Section Access in Sense, so i was wondering has anyone worked out a way of doing this.

Would be really useful.

Cheers

Robbie

7 Replies
clondono
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Robert,

You can use a Qlik Extension called iPortal. It allows to impersonate multiple users:

Qlik Branch

I hope this helps!

Carlos

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

you can change the authentication method to access the hub ro Qmc by choosing windows authentication => form in the virtual proxy, like this you choose the user you want to use and test your data in the hub

thenextlevel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Carlos

I'll look into it.

thenextlevel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Youssef

Can you explain a little more about what you mean?

Thanks

Robbie

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

on the virtual proxy of the Qliksense QMC, you can choose the authentication method, there is maybe 4 types, one of them allow to display a window that will ask for a login and a password.everytime a user wants to access the hub to use the apps. like this you can authenticate yourself as the user you want

rittermd
Master
Master

May not be the best way.  But what I do i have a row in my SA file for my login.  Normally I am an ADMIN and can see everything.

But if I need to mimic another user I simply go in and modify my row to a USER with the value that user can access or I might have to add additional rows if I want to see everything that they can see.

Then I reload the app and take a look.

This has worked well so far.  But I am sure that one day it may no longer work.

clondono
Creator III
Creator III

If you want to mimic a user, the iPortal is the best approach.  However if what you are looking for is to be able to enter a user name and password when opening the Hub, there are two ways to accomplish that:

1. Internet Explorer-> Internet Options-> Security Zones -> Custom Level -> User Authentication -> Select  "Prompt for user name  and password". This applies only to the local machine you apply the settings to.
  2. QMC: Virtual proxy-> Edit-> Windows Authentication Pattern-> Change  from Windows to Forms
    • Next time someone logs in, they will be asked for Username/Password.  This will be a global setting.