Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Moove pgo file to othe server

Hi Expert

I want to know if is possible to take the .pgo files from server 1 and move to server 2

This is because i want to mantain and migrate the information from license to server 1 to server 2

What you recommend to do this?

both server will have different SERVER NAME

Thanks a lot Fernando

Labels (6)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

The xml-files of the pgo are just a readable duplicate of the proprietary file-format from the pgo. Therefore they couldn't be used to configure anything. Like mentioned there are a few references to the server-name but I think they aren't really relevant else that Qlik will overwrite them by accessing them again.

Until today I have already mirrored QlikView environments (always single server installations) multiple times and it's quite easy by copy & paste everything - whereby everything means everything. Creating an identically folder-structure of all data & applications as well as install-folders & other settings/configurations (drivers, Excel, connectors, network-settings and so on) and then copy & paste the QlikView program-data. The QlikView services must be stopped before copying the program-data and the various server-names references within the QlikView config-files before starting the services on the new server. In this regard I never touched the pgo-files.

Afterwards everything were there - all tasks + all qmc- and document-settings and also all users + licences (whereby we have no document CAL else only named CAL + sessions CAL) - and it worked and were running. Sometimes I forgot here and there a setting and by 9 out of 10 cases I needed one or two hours to detect them and setting them afterwards - in about 1 case something were broken and I needed to repeat the entire measure (of course I tried some repair but it could become quite painful and it's not worth).

Important is the approach to mirror 1:1 without any change. If it's checked and working you may applying any adjustments on this state.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

In QlikView it's working by mirroring one server on another one without adjusting the different server-name directly to them. By duplicating these files as xml-files there are a few references to the server-name and I'm not sure but I think they aren't directly related to the server-name else with the user-names. By Sense I don't know how it's handled.

- Marcus 

fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Hi Marcos, how are you?

I am working in Qlikviews, this pgo if I open as XML in some cases there are some reference to the server name or cluster name, my question is if it possible to rename (edit) and save, and then use this new xml (.pgo) as the one for the new server?

What do you suggest to migrate the named and document cal? is there any other possibility?

Thanks a lot!

Fernando

marcus_sommer

The xml-files of the pgo are just a readable duplicate of the proprietary file-format from the pgo. Therefore they couldn't be used to configure anything. Like mentioned there are a few references to the server-name but I think they aren't really relevant else that Qlik will overwrite them by accessing them again.

Until today I have already mirrored QlikView environments (always single server installations) multiple times and it's quite easy by copy & paste everything - whereby everything means everything. Creating an identically folder-structure of all data & applications as well as install-folders & other settings/configurations (drivers, Excel, connectors, network-settings and so on) and then copy & paste the QlikView program-data. The QlikView services must be stopped before copying the program-data and the various server-names references within the QlikView config-files before starting the services on the new server. In this regard I never touched the pgo-files.

Afterwards everything were there - all tasks + all qmc- and document-settings and also all users + licences (whereby we have no document CAL else only named CAL + sessions CAL) - and it worked and were running. Sometimes I forgot here and there a setting and by 9 out of 10 cases I needed one or two hours to detect them and setting them afterwards - in about 1 case something were broken and I needed to repeat the entire measure (of course I tried some repair but it could become quite painful and it's not worth).

Important is the approach to mirror 1:1 without any change. If it's checked and working you may applying any adjustments on this state.

- Marcus

fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Thanks Marcus!

I will try and let you know the results

Thanks for your answer

Fernando