Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zahidrahim_ocp
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Multiple Data Model for Single App

Dear Experts,

We have multiple data models for different modules like Sales, Financials. Now we want to develop a single App where we want to develop a single dashboard where data from different modules/data models can be displayed.

Is this possible and how?

Regards,

Zahid Rahim

14 Replies
vikasmahajan

Hi ,

You can use Binary Load all data modules in single QVW file. Make changes as you required and build another data module using this.

Vikas

Hope this resolve your issue.
If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution & like it.
If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You will need a load script that merges the data from each of the modules. You may want to partially aggregate the data (and perhaps reduce the dimensions) for the dashboard to keep it to a manageable size. The fact tables could be concatenated into a single fact table with a source type field specifying the module from which the data comes. Then you can load the original or reduced dimension tables tables.

Your expressions would then use the source type field in a set expression like

Sum({<Source = {'Sales'}>} Amount)

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
rittermd
Master
Master

As Vikas said you could put a Binary load statement at the start of your script that will load the script from another app.  Then add your code for the 2nd app.

Depending on your data you may end up with synthetic keys or other issues with the combined data models.  They may not associate either if they should unless you do some manipulation.

Another option is just to copy the script from app 1 into app 2 and then make whatever changes you need.

The approach really depends on the complexity of the scripts and what you want to end up with.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Binary loading is good for loading from single source document/app, but it is not possible to binary load from multiple sources into a single QV document or QS app.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
zahidrahim_ocp
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

There is only one data source.

Now i have an APP with the name "BI" with data model for 2 tables A and B which is creating analysis. Now i want to create entirely a different query using 2 tables Y and Z which should show analysis on the same one Single APP with the name "BI".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rahim,

It should better group your modules based on the existing data models, where there were almost similer KPI's.

It depends how you want show the granularity of the report you are building for the Overall enterprise level dashboards.

Regards,

Sadasiva

zahidrahim_ocp
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Dear Sada,

You mean i should develop different apps for different modules?

Regards,

Zahid Rahim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not exactly, but you can group certain modules into single app. Sales, Operation and invenotry in one applications lke that.

If you are using single data source for all the modules and able to build such complex data model, it may affect the performance.It just a assumption.

I am doing same kind of grouping, thtats why am suggesting.

Regards,

Sadasiva

ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Sadasiva,

Forgive me for possibly an absurd question. And what is the need to combine modules into one application? What is the goal pursued?

Regards,

Andrey