Qlik Community

New to Qlik Sense

Discussion board where members can get started with Qlik Sense.

Announcements
QlikWorld, June 24-25, 2020. Free virtual event for DI and DA gurus. Register Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Partner
Partner

NOW() function not dynamically updating

Hi all,

I have just noticed that the NOW() function does not update unless a manual page refresh is done. Does anyone know of a work around or is this working as designed? 

QlikView does dynamically update (you can watch the time change right in front of your eyes in a text box!) 

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: NOW() function not dynamically updating

Not sure if this makes any difference, but can you try Now(1) instead of Now()

Highlighted

Actually just tried it and it didn't work.

Highlighted
Partner
Partner

Thanks Sunny, It is not just me that is seeing this then. 

What i am trying to do is use the now() function in a dimension to create a distinct key (this is used in an extension object that allows me to create a 'comment' which is then written to xml. the xml is then loaded into the data model, so each 'comment' entry must have a unique key). The now() function would have been perfect for this, but obviously if it does not work like it does in QV then i need to find another way.  

The dimension i am using is this..

='Sheet1 - ' & timestamp(now())

Does anyone know how else i can create a unique key by using a calculated dimension? This is not possible to do in the script as it's the extension object that outputs to xml.

Thanks

Highlighted
Partner
Partner

Does anyone have any ideas on how to create a dynamic unique key in a chart dimension?