cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hytown2000
Partner - Contributor III

Near real time dashboard possible?

I need to create a dashboard to be refreshed near real time, let's say every 5 minutes, is it possible in Qlik Sense? Data is only pulled for today, so volume will not be big. I know there is a way to do it in QlikView and there are plenty of discussions before in the community.

A few questions I have in my mind,

1. Is it ok to refresh if the document is opened by users?

2. Will users see the updated data after the refresh is done?

I am also thinking of using Direct Query, but the response does not look good, the underlying database is Oracle.

13 Replies
MK9885
Master II
Master II

Yes you can refresh the data by assigning your own time.

Use 'Triggers' in QMC HUB. You'll need to create a new view in your db for this with the schema where the other views are available,  and it will refresh your extract qvd or data model.

You can also do Incremental load.

I think If there is traffic on your HUB then it won't effect the user view and he will see old data unless he refresh the browser after your data is refreshed.

I've never personally done in Sense but this is possible in Qlik view and you have same 'Trigger' option in QMC HUB as well.

hytown2000
Author

Thanks for your reply. I know how to load data to Qvd and then load it to Sense app accordingly, the big question for me is how to refresh the content for the users when the data refresh is completed on server. I do not want them to have to refresh the app in browser to see updated data.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

I guess he has to do refresh by himself. If a user is accessing HUB in middle of the db refresh then he'll see old data. But the users who come to HUB after refresh will see new data.

Not applicable

Yes. it is possible via direct discovery.

Dimension is preloaded into QVW while fact data is directly flash from Oracle.

Following is the link for detail

Direct Discovery ‒ QlikView

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tommy,

I was testing this just the other day, if you have an app continuously refreshing, say at 10 second intervals for example, you'll see the data in the app update in the app without the user having to refresh the browser or do anything else. One of the benefits of using websockets technology I imagine.

Cheers,

Rod

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tommy,

Thought I'd offer a more complete answer than my previous comment. Near real-time is entirely possible via the normal load process depending on data volumes and what is acceptable as "near" realtime. If data volumes are large incremental loads to QVD files should be considered which will speed things up. It is entirely OK to refresh/reload an app that is currently in use and users will see the new data as soon as it is loaded without having to perform any manual intervention such as a browser refresh.

One way of achieving a near real-time update is to set up a reload task with triggers such that the app is continuously reloaded. There's a couple of ways to do it but in my testing I setup a "Once-only" trigger and then a "Task event" trigger that fires on completion of the load task.This way once I start the task and it complete it will then trigger itself on an ongoing basis via the task event trigger. Note that in setting it up you need to create the once-only trigger and then save the task before you can go back into it and create the task-event trigger, otherwise you won't see the task in the trigger task list.

Hope all that makes sense.

Cheers,

Rod

Not applicable

Hi Tommy,

I have tried with Qlikview not Qliksens and it may be possible with QlikSense.

Yes, user can refresh their transactional data by refreshing the browser (F5) or doing some activity to get the data from source directly. (It happens from access point).

Thank you..Ravi Kancharla

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kancharia,

Sorry, but you are incorrect. You don't need to refresh the browser at all. Data refreshed through a reload will update in the browser without the user needing to do anything. See my earlier response above.

Thanks,

Rod

Not applicable

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your suggestion but you can't suggest in that way and that is not right way to suggest the community people.

1. If the document takes more than 60 sec to refresh time that time what you do ?

2. If the user is evaluating or testing if you enable 10 sec then he/she will loose their track of analysis.

I hope you understand the critical issues on real time analysis..

Thank you..Ravi Kancharla