VishnuKR445
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Need to Separate a String In to multiple fields having multiple delimiters

Hi 

I am new to Qlik Sense

I need to split a field  Product  into Category and Subcategory

Product Category SubCategory
Edelweiss Tokio Group Credit Protection - SME edelweiss tokio group  CREDIT PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Group Credit Protection - SME - NEW edelweiss tokio group  CREDIT PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Cash Flow Protection edelweiss tokio life  CASH FLOW PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Protection - (Reg/5/10/15Pay) edelweiss tokio life  PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Protection - (Reg/5/10/15Pay) - OLD edelweiss tokio life  PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Protection - (Single Pay) edelweiss tokio life  PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Protection  - (Single Pay) - OLD edelweiss tokio life  PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Save n Prosper edelweiss tokio life  SAVE N PROSPER
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Single Pay Endowment Assurance Plan edelweiss tokio life  SINGLE PAY ENDOWMENT ASSURANCE PLAN
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Single Pay Endowment Assurance Plan - OLD edelweiss tokio life  SINGLE PAY ENDOWMENT ASSURANCE PLAN
Edelweiss Tokio Life - Wealth Accumulation (Privilege) edelweiss tokio life  WEALTH ACCUMULATION
Edelweiss Tokio Life Education (Term-Regular Pay/5pay/7 pay/10pay/15 pay) edelweiss tokio life  EDUCATION
Edelweiss Tokio Life Group Credit Protection - ECL edelweiss tokio life  GROUP CREDIT PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life Group Credit Protection - ECL - NEW edelweiss tokio life  GROUP CREDIT PROTECTION
         Edelweiss Tokio Life Group Credit Protection - EHF edelweiss tokio life  GROUP CREDIT PROTECTION
            Edelweiss Tokio Life Group Credit Protection - EHF - NEW edelweiss tokio life  GROUP CREDIT PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life Group Credit Protection - EHF (LAP) edelweiss tokio life  GROUP CREDIT PROTECTION
Edelweiss Tokio Life Group Credit Protection with ATPD - ECL edelweiss tokio life  GROUP CREDIT PROTECTION WITH ATPD
Edelweiss Tokio Life Group Credit Protection with ATPD - EHF edelweiss tokio life  GROUP CREDIT PROTECTION WITH ATPD
Edelweiss Tokio Life Group Credit Protection with ATPD - SME edelweiss tokio life  GROUP CREDIT PROTECTION WITH ATPD
Edelweiss Tokio Life Income Replacement Plan - 5pay/10pay edelweiss tokio life  INCOME REPLACEMENT PLAN
Edelweiss Tokio Life Income Replacement Plan - Reg/5pay/10pay - OLD edelweiss tokio life  INCOME REPLACEMENT PLAN
Edelweiss Tokio Life MultiGain Plan (WA) edelweiss tokio life  MULTIGAIN PLAN
Edelweiss Tokio Life Safe n Sure Plan (WA) edelweiss tokio life  SAFE N SURE PLAN
        Edelweiss Tokio Life Safe n Sure Plan (WA) - OLD edelweiss tokio life  SAFE N SURE PLAN
Edelweiss Tokio Life Save n Grow Plan (WA) edelweiss tokio life  SAVE N GROW PLAN
Edelweiss Tokio Life Wealth Accumulation (Accelerated cover) edelweiss tokio life  WEALTH ACCUMULATION
      Edelweiss Tokio Life Wealth Accumulation (Comprehensive Cover) edelweiss tokio life  WEALTH ACCUMULATION
Edelweiss Tokio Life Wealth Accumulation (Cover Plus) edelweiss tokio life  WEALTH ACCUMULATION
Edelweiss Tokio Life Wealth Enhancement Ace edelweiss tokio life  WEALTH ENHANCEMENT ACE

I need to load only product field and split the product field to other two field but there are different types of delimiter which will comes to play while splitting as the subfield will split based on only one delimiter 

i was able to get category using :- Left(Trim(Product),Index(Product,' ',3)-1)as Category 

bit i am not able to achieve subcategory field 

can you help me achieve this scenario 

Labels (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Only two queries and extracts on the content won't be enough - you will probably need some more and also including/combining the queries with len() and substringcount() and/or checking the sub-strings more specific and/or against already existing ones. Important will be that the queries are unique and within the right order to avoid that a lower complexity is true before a more complex check is made.

Like above mentioned it's definitely not a funny task and therefore I suggest to check the mapping-approach again.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

If you have just a few delimiters and/or variants you could use some (nested) if-loops to check them and then to branch to the appropriate extraction which may not just be left/right/mid else also subfield() or textbetween(). It won't be nice but possible. If there are some more combinations such an approach becomes quite ugly - therefore I suggest to consider to change the approach to a Mapping ‒ Qlik Sense on Windows.

- Marcus

edwin
Master II
Master II

if the different delimiters have individual meanings then Marcus' solution is the best.  however, if the delimiters dont have any meaning - that you treat them the same then maybe youd want to replace the different delimeters first before you parse them.  you can use the replace function. 

VishnuKR445
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

i tried using nested if's but im not able to get appropriate result i used the following logic 

if(WildMatch(Product,'*-*')>0,Left(Trim(Product),Index(Product,'-')-1),(If(WildMatch(Product,'*(*')>0,Left(Trim(Product),Index(Product,'(')-1),Product))) as sub_Category,

marcus_sommer

Only two queries and extracts on the content won't be enough - you will probably need some more and also including/combining the queries with len() and substringcount() and/or checking the sub-strings more specific and/or against already existing ones. Important will be that the queries are unique and within the right order to avoid that a lower complexity is true before a more complex check is made.

Like above mentioned it's definitely not a funny task and therefore I suggest to check the mapping-approach again.

- Marcus