cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nested If in For loop during Data Load

Hi All,

I am trying to compute a YTD total sales during the data load in Qlik Sense.

Basically, my idea is to use a For Loop to loop through the dates and if the conditions are right, i will sum up the sales figure.

Below is a snapshot of my code. (Apologies, i don't know how to insert the code tag from Qlik Sense)

But i got an error but i am not sure why.

The error occurred in line 41:

if 12/1/2012 <= 2012-11-01 00:00:00 then

loop.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

May be convert both those dates into number using num() function and then do a comparison:

LET vDate = Num(Date(Peek('Period_HC', vRow, [Headcount])));

LET vYTDate = Num(MonthStart(Date('$(tPeriod)'), -12));

View solution in original post

9 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be convert both those dates into number using num() function and then do a comparison:

LET vDate = Num(Date(Peek('Period_HC', vRow, [Headcount])));

LET vYTDate = Num(MonthStart(Date('$(tPeriod)'), -12));

marcus_sommer

Honestly I believe that you are trying it a little bit too complicated. YTD calculations are quite easy within the gui with set analysis expressions especially if you used a master-calendar with flags. Here you find everything what you need: How to use - Master-Calendar and Date-Values

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

H Marcus,

The YTD flag doesn't work for for rolling YTD sum right? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I have the used the set analysis expression and it works brilliantly in tables.

However, when I try to use the same expression on a chart, the YTD sum doesn't work.

It seems that data outside the time frame of the chart do not get aggregated.

Let me know if there there is something that I can try.

Thanks!

marcus_sommer

Yes, principally you need for each metric an own flag (nesting of flags is possible but complicated) which later led ideally to gui-expression like: sum(value) * YTDFlag or sum(value) * R12Flag and so on. If it worked in tables it will also work in charts but you might need to reduce the number of dimensions and expressions to get good results.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Marcus,

In the table, the YTD sales for a time period (e.g. Jan'15) will show an aggregration of sums from Feb'14 to Jan'15. This is perfect.

However, when I apply it in a chart which shows the YTD data (e.g. Nov'15 to Oct'15), only the cumulative sum is shown. (i.e. Nov'15 will only show Nov'15 Sales while Dec'15 will show Nov'15 + Dec'15 sales)

marcus_sommer

I don't understand - you mean if you select further months? By many of those flags made it no sense to enable further period-selections then it's rather confusing.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I uploaded a copy of the QVF.

The table shows the Cumulative Sum but the Chart only shows cumulative sum from Nov onward.

Ideally, I would like to see the cumulative sum (1200) since 2013.

qlik.PNG

Not applicable
Author

‌Impossible!)))

Bit evil genius never not sleeping...)

marcus_sommer

Unfortunately I can't look into your qvf but both objects haven't the same expressions. The table-expression isn't a cumulative expression it's a TOTAL. Your chart instead seems to have a cumulation.

I suggest you take another look into my suggestion from above - How to use - Master-Calendar and Date-Values - the examples are related to qlikview but you will find similar ones for sense and logic and script-syntax are for both the same.

- Marcus