Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schmidtkm37
Contributor III
Contributor III

Nested set analysis

Hi all,

I am trying to create a nested set expression. I want to return the sum of sales for fiscal year to date for the prior fiscal year in order to do fiscal year over year calculations. My fiscal year starts in October so for 12/19/18, I want sum of sales for 10/1/17 - 12/19/17. I'm trying to avoid any hard coding so that these dashboards don't all break once the calendar rolls over to October again next year.

The following expression works to get the start date of the previous fiscal year:

min({$<FiscalYear={"$(=max(FiscalYear)-1)"}>}vDate)

And I set a variable in the script to return the date from a year ago (today it returns 12/19/17) called vDateYearAgo

How can I use a set expression to return the sum of sales where vDate <= DateYearAgo and  >=  min({$<FiscalYear={"$(=max(FiscalYear)-1)"}>}vDate)?

I tried to define the min({$<FiscalYear={"$... variable in the script but it doesn't seem to work. And I thought about defining a dimension in Master Items and use that in a formula, but we can't reference Master Items in formulas. Any ideas? Also, I'm aware that I might not be going about this in the right way, so any thoughts on a better strategy are certainly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schmidtkm37
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

After some trial and error, I have found the solution. Thanks to Sunny and Carlos for being so responsive and pointing me in the right direction. 

sum({<[vDate]={"=[vDate]<=vDateYearAgo"},
  FiscalYear={"$(=max(FiscalYear)-1)"}
  >}  InvoiceAmt)

View solution in original post

9 Replies
sunny_talwar

What is vDate here? Is this a variable or field?
schmidtkm37
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It is a field. It's the date of the invoice. I'm not sure why it has a "v". I didn't name it.

sunny_talwar

May be try something like this

Sum({<vDate = {"$(='>=' & Date(YearStart(Max(vDate), -1, 10), 'MM/DD/YY') & '<=' & Date(AddYears(Max(vDate), -1), 'MM/DD/YY'))"}>} Sales)
CarlosAMonroy
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

If you already have Fiscal Calendar and fields, just apply the following logic to your set analysis:

Prior YTD
{<DateField={">=$(=min({$<FiscalYear={"$(=max(FiscalYear)-1)"}>}vDate)) <=$(=AddMonths( today(),-12))"}>}

I guess YTD should be the same start variable but removing the '-1'.

YTD
{<DateField={">=$(=min({$<FiscalYear={"$(=max(FiscalYear))"}>}vDate)) <=$(= today())"}>}

Hope that helps,
Carlos

schmidtkm37
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the quick response Sunny, the issue here is that the date table that joins to the invoice table has dates going out to 2040, so the first function comes back as 10/1/2039 instead of 10/1/2018. 

Also, our fiscal year is weird in that it actually starts on the Monday of the week that includes Oct 1, so the best example to see that would be 2016 when it started on 9/26. That's why I used:

min({$<FiscalYear={"$(=max(FiscalYear)-1)"}>}vDate)

to get the start of the fiscal year.

schmidtkm37
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Carlos, thank you for responsding. It doesn't like the two sets of " and also doesn't recognize DateField (should this be vDate?)
CarlosAMonroy
Creator III
Creator III

Right, should be your date field, not sure if its Fiscal year or vDate. Qlikview may underline it in red as a syntax error. But that should work if you're using the correct fields.

Carlos M

sunny_talwar

In that case try using [] instead of " " within the inner set analysis

Sum({<vDate = {"$(='>=' & Date(Min({$<FiscalYear = {[$(=Max(FiscalYear)-1)]}>} vDate), 'MM/DD/YY') & '<=' & Date(DateYearAgo, 'MM/DD/YY'))"}>} Sales)

or use Escape sequences

Sum({<vDate = {"$(='>=' & Date(Min({$<FiscalYear = {""$(=Max(FiscalYear)-1)""}>} vDate), 'MM/DD/YY') & '<=' & Date(DateYearAgo, 'MM/DD/YY'))"}>} Sales)

schmidtkm37
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

After some trial and error, I have found the solution. Thanks to Sunny and Carlos for being so responsive and pointing me in the right direction. 

sum({<[vDate]={"=[vDate]<=vDateYearAgo"},
  FiscalYear={"$(=max(FiscalYear)-1)"}
  >}  InvoiceAmt)