Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rittermd
Master
Master

ODAG vs Data Handling expression for large data

My client has opted to use Data Handling expression to check for the number of clients selected before it displays visualizations.  They are using GetPossibleCount(ClientNumber) < 50

Many of the dashboards have over 30M records and as many as 20 visualizations in them.  Every chart has this check in it.

My gut tells me that this is inefficient and is slowing down the apps.  They are slow to open and many charts take a few seconds to open.

I wanted to get any feedback from the experts here on this.  Is it worth implementing ODAG in this situation? Or is this a good approach?

1 Reply
marcus_sommer

I think it's a very practicable way to restrict the visibility/calculations. If it's used for all objects you may consider to put the calculation into a variable - so it's calculated only once. Another way - maybe also in combination with your used approach - is to apply another variable or maybe a field which contained directly 0 or 1 to prevent all calculations until it is set to true. This has the benefit that multiple selections could be done without calculating everything on each intermediated step.

Beside this I suggest to check if the datamodel and the UI expressions could be optimized because the above is a curing on the effects but didn't touched the cause.

- Marcus