Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Parallel Development Qliksense

Hello All,

We have to develop a Qlik-sense application . 3 developers will be working on that.

We have came with an approach that all 3 developers will be working on different sheets after the data model is developed and loaded with the same login.

If one one a developers needs to reload the app, the other 2 need to informed.

This is the only approach we found for collaborative development from multiple users ?

Are we on the right path.

Is there any other alternative for parallel development.

What are the challenges you people see in the above approach.

Thanks

Khushboo

17 Replies
reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Khushboo,

Firstly, if you are making use of the same login you will not be able to work on the same app at the same time. The first one who was using the Dashboard would get kicked off. Instead I would suggest you to have One app which has the built Data Model and only then duplicate the app into 3 and Start working separately on the master items and Visualizations.Once the UI part is done. First replicate the Master Items and then copy the Visualizations to the master App.

This way It could be easier in my opinion!

Thanks and Regards,

Sangram Reddy.

Not applicable
Author

Hi sangram,

Are you sure as i have done a POC on this.

Using the same login on HUB we were able to do changes on different sheets.

Thanks

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Yes you can work on different sheets but not on the same sheet at the same time. So if you happen to navigate between sheets it is going to log others out.

Not applicable
Author

Ya that i have tested. That is why i mentioned different sheets.

Only thing is  whether there is another better approach anyone is following?

Thanks

Khushboo

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi,

I don't think there is a better way than this.

SteveNewman
Employee
Employee

Why can't you use the built in workflow to facilitate your multi-developer needs?

For example, developer 1 builds the initial app in their My Work location and when ready, they publish their core app to a stream that the other developers have access to. Developers 1, 2, and 3 can now create their own sheets as My Sheets within the app and when they are ready to share them, the sheet(s) are shared with the other developers to review, test, QA, etc... Once the sheets are accepted, they can be promoted as a published sheet which makes them part of the app.

Shared and personal sheets are retained, even if someone republished the app over the original one so they will not be lost from app changes by the original developer.

In addition, if someone attempts to reload the app your developers can keep developing as the app update to the users won't happen until after the reload was successfully completed.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Steve,

Can you clarify this part for me:

Developers 1, 2, and 3 can now create their own sheets as My Sheets within the app and when they are ready to share them, the sheet(s) are shared with the other developers to review, test, QA, etc... Once the sheets are accepted, they can be promoted as a published sheet which makes them part of the app.

Specifically I feel like there are 3 concepts here: And I'm lost

1. Publishing an app, I'm comfortable with it.
  2. As you say, "Sharing the sheet"; how to do it?
  3. As you say; "Promoting the sheet" aka "Publishing the sheet"; how to do it?

Trying to find answers to my own question:

So I'll avoid using Steve's words from above.

I'll use "Approved" and "Published", as those things are definitely columns on sheet objects, with values like "true" or "false", as shown here:

approved published.png

Publishing should be easy:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.1/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Publishing/publish-sheet.htm

Despite that, I can't do it.

I feel like I (User: nathanielanderson) have Publish (Action: Publish) permissions to the Sheet "International Template Nate's Dev" (Resource of App Object), as shown here:

seeing permissions including publish.png

And yet, I can't seem to publish that sheet, as shown here: (screenshots show the second technique described on Qlik Sense help)‌ but neither technique works for me.)

no publish option.png

itec_pao
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi all,

I have a solution, by using custom properties and security rules in order to be able to work multiple developers on one unpublished app. I have put this in my blog:

http://www.qlik-blog.com/files/aaa5fa62fb65b2841898f5d04fc27c69-3.html

Shortly, you define Custom properties and put and object and users related to the app into it. In the security rule you define, you provide the rights. This works even for unpublished apps, which is superior.

Regards,

Oktay

www.qlik-blog.com

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oktay, thanks for your post. In your example your rule requires 2 custom properties. Is it possible to use just 1 Custom Property; i.e. just resource.app.@Bereich = Bearbeitung ? I guess that is possible; in fact I could use any techniques as long as the "Condition" clause can target the apps I want to "share" among developers?

Also where will the app appear in my hub? Will it still be in "My Work" section of the hub? Can the app be in "published=true" state for this to work?

What's the difference between resource.@Bereich and resource.app.@Bereich -- shouldn't just resource suffice?   

EDIT

OK after some experimentation I have answers for my questions:

• Is it possible to use just 1 Custom Property; i.e. just resource.app.@Bereich = Bearbeitung ?
    • Yes, 1 condition is fine; you can even use no conditions at all (the broadest possible rule?). My current rule uses only one condition: is resource.@AppCollaboration="true". This means any/all users will be able to edit these apps! I know that may be a security risk.
  • Also where will the app appear in my hub? Will it still be in "My Work"
    • Yes, it can only appear in "My Work". The moment it's published, it won't appear in "My Work", but you can't edit /update a published app anyway.
  • Can the app be in "published=true" state for this to work?
    • No it cannot be published; the moment it's published, it won't appear in "My Work", and you can't edit /update a published
  • What's the difference between resource.@Bereich and resource.app.@Bereich -- shouldn't just resource suffice (no need resource.app)?
    • I don't know the difference. Here's my guess: resource refers to the resource in question, whereas resource.app refers to the app linked to the resource in question. Some resources (like Data Connections) are integral parts of an app, so we can indirectly refer to their app via resource.app. Am I right?
    • Yes, resource.@Bereich suffices. ("Bereich" is the name of Oktay's custom property, of course you would use your own custom property here, like resource.@CustomProperty, or in my case, resource.@AppCollaboration = "true")
    • In fact, resource.app.@Bereich does not work for me, I must have resource.@Bereich! As I speculated above, resource.app probably refers to the app linked to the resource. Since I am interested in the resource itself being an app (vs the resource having an app), maybe that's why resource.app does not work, but resource does work.