Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Percentages of increments in pivot tables with calculated dimensions

I want to calulate percentage increases in a pivot table. However, the dimension is a calculated one, based on dates entered through 6 boxes of variable extension. I attach a reproducible file for Qlik Sense as an example.

I have 3 measures: Sum(Sales) as Sales, num(Count(Distinct [[Customer ID]),'#,##0',',' ) as UABs (acronym for Unique Active Buyers), and num((Sum(Profit)/Sum(Sales))*100,'0.00') &'%' as Benefits. I want to calculate the percentage of change of these metrics between 3 different periods: "Before Promotion" as "Before", "During Promotion" as "During", and "After Promotion" as "After".

Right now my report looks the following way:

new_look_2.png

Nevertheless, I would like to have something like in the following screen caption:

new_excel.png

Which means that the fields in:

• Before, have been calculated with the variation from Before to After (1st one and the 3rd one).
  • During, have been calcultaed with the variation from Before to During (1st and 2nd).
  • After, have been calculated with the variation from During to After (2nd and 3rd).

Sales and UAPs % Increase fields are calculated with the percentage formula: {([Final Value] / [Initial Value]) - 1} * 100.

Nevertheless, the Benefits increase field is calculated with a simple difference: [Final Vale] - [Initital Value], given that the values are in the same percentage units.

I appreciate beforehand any help on this specific case. Anibal

P.D. My results are 100% reproducible entering the following values in the 6 "Variable Extension" boxes:

BeforeMin = 03.10.17

BeforeMax = 04.10.17

DuringMin = 05.10.17

DuringMax = 06.10.17

AfterMin = 07.10.17

AfterMax =  08.10.17

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The values in your field Date go from 01.05.17 to 08.05.17  [i.e. all in month 5, May]

Whereas the values you enter for your variables go from 03.10.17 to 08.10.2017 [i.e. all in month 10, Oct]

It also looks as if your data field Date is a string and not a numeric Qlik date.

The Calculated Dimension contains things like :

if( (Date>=Date(Date#('$(vBDA_1)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY'))

So :

• Date is a string
  • Date(Date#('$(vBDA_1)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')) is a numeric Qlik date

This is all most confusing.

Maybe when you load the data from [lib://BI RESOURCES/SAMPLE DATA SET.xlsx] you should convert field Date into a numeric Qlik date.

Whilst this does not answer your actual question in the slightest, I do think the Date field needs sorting before you can progress and then maybe post a revised sample qvf.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill. Thank you for your reply. I will go through your comments and suggestions:

"The values in your field Date go from 01.05.17 to 08.05.17  [i.e. all in month 5, May]. Whereas the values you enter for your variables go from 03.10.17 to 08.10.2017 [i.e. all in month 10, Oct]"

Yes. My idea is creating an interactive report. No matter what dates you enter through the 6 Variable Extension boxes, the pivot table will calculate the increases of the correspondent measures (Sales, UABs, Benefits), considering the registries that fall into these 3 categories: "Before","During", and "After". The dates that the user specify through the boxes don´t need to cover the entire Date window of the Data Set.

"It also looks as if your data field Date is a string and not a numeric Qlik date. [...].  Maybe when you load the data from [lib://BI RESOURCES/SAMPLE DATA SET.xlsx] you should convert field Date into a numeric Qlik date."

I have done the following. I have gone to the "Data Load Editor" and modified the entire loading script so that the format of Dates is 100% compatible with my column Date. Before it was in standard Qlik Sense Desktop, and I have changed it to German format (DD.MM.YYYY), as it can be seen here:

new_format.png

I have also updated my .qvf sample file. Now, my Date column I believe is in Date format as it can be seen through this functions (Day(), Year(), Month()):

new_look.png

Don´t know if this can be any helpful to make some progress/targets your suggestions? Thanks, Anibal