Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem with CSV import and the structure of data in Qlik Sense Desktop.

Hi,

I am new here and trying to learn Qlik Sense Desktop. Now I've encountered a small problem when I test it and hope someone can help me so it will work as it should.

I have done a survey in SurveyMonkey where some of the questions are multiple choice. I have exported the data into a CSV file in the SurveyMonkey system. The problem is that each answer gets its own column in the file so when I import the file into Qlik Sense Desktop, Qlik Sense not understand that it is really the same question with different response options but thinks that every answer is a separate question. Each one of these gets its own column and becomes a Dimension in Qlik Sense. What should I do so that all the options/choices gets under one and the same question in Qlik Sense Desktop, so the question itself becomes its own dimension?

I have attached a CSV file that I get out of SurveyMonkey as examples.

I have problems with questions 1 and 2. Ín the attached picture you can see what they look like in my SurveyMonkey survey.

I have also added a file with the codes from the data import in Qlik Sense Desktop.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks!

/Tobias

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Use the CrossTable function:

CrossTable(Question, Answer, 9)

LOAD *

FROM [lib://CSV/ALLA.csv]

(txt, utf8, embedded labels, delimiter is ',', msq);

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thanks you for your answer Gysbert!

Where do I put this code in Qlik Sense Desktop? Do I put it in the Data Import?

Do I need to change anything in the CSV-file?

I guess I need to write change/write something within the brackets here CrossTable(Question, Answer, 9)?

I guess the following might be useful to know to get this right. In the attached file (Import QS Colors.png) I have marked the questions and its components.

The green and blue marked text is the main question. “What do you shop online and how much do you spend on this per month in average during a year (regardless if its online or not)?”

The red marked text shows the products.

After the products you can see the two different kind of answers the person have given me, in Yellow, “amount spent per month” and in pink “Buys this online (Yes/No)”.

So this is the first question.

The second question is marked with brown color further down, “What would make you spend more money on these things online?”. I have marked all the alternatives of answers with the cyan color. The last answer means “Other (please specify)” and is an open answer where the person can write whatever he/she wants. The person who answers this question can choose as many alternative of answer as he/she wants. It can be non, it can be 1,2,3,4 etc. in any combination.

Thank you for your help and input.

Sorry for all the questions, I am new here and trying to learn. 🙂

Kind regards

Tobias