Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francofiorillo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Qlik Data Gateway Direct access

Hello.
the data I use in Qlik Sense Saas is on Premise on a Microsoft Sql server. I am currently using Qlik Data Transfer to transfer the tables to be analyzed to the cloud.
I honestly find QDT poso practical as it is not editable after creation and you cannot see which fields you have transferred to the cloud.
I don't want to use <FORTS> for economic reasons and would like to try QLIK DATA GATEWAY DIRECT ACCESS.
It can be used ?
Are there any contraindications?
Can it do the same job as Qlik Data Transfer?
Generally the tables to be analyzed by space are approx. 100 and generally resident in a single Micorsoft SQL database.
at the date, then, these data are the subject of a qlikview PE apps.
Could I also transfer the entire QlikView apps? But then, how do I update the data?
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Can you help me choose the best path?
thanks again in advance.
Hello everybody.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NadiaB
Support
Support

Hi @francofiorillo 

Unfortunately I was not able to find any documentation that indicates what to expect when it comes to performance or any scalability testing done. 

It is suggested to try Data Gateway and verify the outcome, there are some improvements that will be released next week, maybe then it will be a good time to verify if you could get the outcome that you are looking for. 

It is also recommended to look at the best practices mentioned in the documentation to get a better result. 

Hope it helps!

Don't forget to mark as "Solution Accepted" the comment that resolves the question/issue. #ngm

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Luis_Arocho-LLantin

Hi Franco

I am not sure if you have seen this info and video but it can help you decide: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Gateways/setting-up-gate...

francofiorillo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

thanks Luis.
I had read these pages from the help.
before trying I wanted to make sure it was okay to use Data Gateway instead of Data Transfer.
can you tell me something about it?
Is the performance for a load of about 100 tables, some with many rows (200000 and even 500000) satisfactory for a daily data update?

tanks.

NadiaB
Support
Support

Hi @francofiorillo 

Unfortunately I was not able to find any documentation that indicates what to expect when it comes to performance or any scalability testing done. 

It is suggested to try Data Gateway and verify the outcome, there are some improvements that will be released next week, maybe then it will be a good time to verify if you could get the outcome that you are looking for. 

It is also recommended to look at the best practices mentioned in the documentation to get a better result. 

Hope it helps!

Don't forget to mark as "Solution Accepted" the comment that resolves the question/issue. #ngm
fatinfazrizanor
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi, i have same situation. i want to know if Qlik Data Gateway Direct Access can connect from on-premises Microsoft SQL server?

I have read about Qlik Data Gateway - Data Movement, but im not sure which i should refer as guideline.

Thanks.

Luis_Arocho-LLantin

francofiorillo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

yes, it can connect to Local Microsoft SQL server.
the performances are more than satisfactory.
the same tables, more or less, that I used to upload in 2 minutes with QlikView locally now take about 5 minutes in the cloud.
go to the help cloud and find the instructions or follow the steps indicated in the attachment.
hello and good job

nhoover
Luminary
Luminary

I can confirm it's working for me with an on Prem SQL Server.

AdyWorrall
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Is anyone using direct access and experiencing issues with it occasionally dropping the connection - if so any ideas what to look for in the logs and how to locate the correct log file please?

I have no issues creating the connection. It is just from time to time is disconnects and the reload fails... even with the firewall on the related server turned off!

nhoover
Luminary
Luminary

By default, the logs are found in the following directory.

C:\Program Files\Qlik\ConnectorAgent\data\logs

I do see this article that may point to some issues:
https://community.qlik.com/t5/Move-to-SaaS/Unable-to-connect-to-the-gateway-DirectAccess-2006/td-p/2...