Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rajarshi_guin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik Sense Map Creation

Hi All,

I have a file which contains the US State names along with various other measures columns. I want to display the States in a map. I am able to create a map by storing latitude and longitude information of all the states in another file and then importing that file into Qlik Sense.

However, my query is can we create a map without separately importing the longitude and latitude information from another file. Is Qlik Sense able to create a map if we have only the State names in a file without longitude and latitude information? If yes. can anyone please let me know how to do that.

Thanks and Regards,

Rajarshi Guin

17 Replies
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

If you load the table which contains the Departments column with the DATA MANAGER, Qliksense will try to recognize geographical informations for you and creates a geographical field, But I'm not sure that it can recognize departments, it worked for me with country field for example.

Otherwise, use your latitude and longitude informations with GeoMakePoints() to be able to display them on a map.

consultant_bi
Creator
Creator

Hello,

in my experience when you load a table wich contains cities or states or countries, in the map Qlik Sense gonna recognize but not allow to display as points but it gonna fill all the country for example  the value Paris it gonna fill all the France but if you had fields with Longitude and Latitude it gonna just point the city Paris.

and May be i am wrong, wait for our experienced friends answers.

P.S: i was wrong it's possible for cities read below but states no points able just polygone and it's logical

OmarBenSalem

To be able to use Your states in a Map chart; you have to tell QLIK to help you with that.

Now, with that being said; there is 2 ways of loading data :

1) through the script : We have the full control

2) through the data load editor : Where QLIK SENSE try to assist/help us

So, with that being said; what yoiu should is go to the data load editor ;

Capture.PNG

synchronise the table of the script:

Capture.PNG

and than reload data.

With that, Qlik SENSE will recognize your states as GeoFields and thus you can use them directly in a map chart without lat/lon combinations.

OmarBenSalem

As far as I've seen; Qlik Sense (through data load editor) recognizes cities as points and countries as polygonnes

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi omarbensalem‌ what do you mean by "tell Qlik to help him with that " ?

OmarBenSalem

Youssef,

There is 2 ways to load your data in QLIK SENSE

1) script:  Qlik does not assist with this; we have full control over everything

2)Data load editor: QLik Sense assist us with this; recognizes GeoFields, Date field, creates auto calendar, time measures (YTD and so on), helps with the table associations , proposes recommandations, concatenations, crossing tables, data fractionning and so on..

So, to be able to use the City Names in a Map object without loading their Lat/Lon, we have to tell QLIK to HELP us with that => Synchronise our table through the data load editor and reload.

And only with this, Qlik will recognize our city names as GeoFields (only by their name, no need to lat/lon) and thus we'll be able to use them in a chart Map.

ps: I was trying to explain this approach rather then telling him directly what to do

consultant_bi
Creator
Creator

Hello again,

Well as Omar said it worked you have just to write the name of cities in correct format to make Qlik Sense recognize the cities

here is an example of data without longitude and latitude information and i made the points on the map

Sans titre.png

consultant_bi
Creator
Creator

Hello Omar i can't use the Synchronise our table , i don't have the hand Sans titre.png

OmarBenSalem

Have you loaded your data directly through the data load editor? Or through the script?