Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qlik Sense - Using Smart Data Load:

Hi,

After watching the video below which shortly explains the association defining, I have encountered a problem with defining artificially the 2 columns association when the correct association doesn't appear in the recommendations..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8gBUbaPVcQ

Thanx,

Tal

6 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Tal,

Can you provide steps and example with screen shot. I am having trouble understanding what you mean by "defining artificially the 2 columns association"

Do you mean you want o break the current automatic association and select the recommended association? And in your list of recommended associations, perhaps you don't see it in the list provided?  If that is the case, I am aware of a behavior where if the % match is low of the matching column, it might not display. If the column is the same name in the two data sources, use the Load Data and Finish button instead of prepare data.

Check this video out:

Parts 1 and 2: Qlik Sense 2.2 - Preparing Data - Part 1

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

The case I am describing is when non of the recommended associations is the correct 1.

then, I am interested in defining by myself the right connection.

For instance, please look at the picture below:

Because I am familiar with the tables 'publisher' and 'campaign', the right connection suppose to based only on 'pb_id' column, without 'capping_percent' column.

As you can see, there isn't recommendation for this association.

How can I set this association anyway? Is there an option to set it manually?

(*this what I meant by "defining artificially" - without using the available existing recommendations)

Thank you very much!

Association.PNG

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Tal - ah I thought so but was not sure - this is exactly what I feared when I stated this:

"If that is the case, I am aware of a behavior where if the % match is low of the matching column, it might not display. If the column is the same name in the two data sources, use the Load Data and Finish button instead of prepare data."

In order to fix this manually, you will need to go into the Data Load Editor and manually rename the column using the AS keyword and give your column name the same name Alias as the one you want it to associate on:

Such as:

[Orders$]:

LOAD

[OrderID] AS [OrderID],

[OrderDate] AS [OrderDate],

[CustomerID] AS [CustomerID],

[EmployeeID] AS [EmployeeID],

[ShipperID] AS [ShipperID],

[ProductID] AS [ProductID],

[Sales] AS [Sales],

[COS] AS [COS],

[GP] AS [GP],

[Quantity] AS [Quantity],

[Discount] AS [Discount],

[Customers]:

LOAD

[Address] AS [Address],

[City] AS [City],

[ContactName] AS [ContactName],

[Country] AS [Country],

[CustomerName] AS [CustomerName],

[CustomerNumber] AS [CustomerID],

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

I'm not really satisfied of the solution since it forces me to change my original data (column name), but as I understand, it is the only way to influence on the prepare data association recommendations..

I would expect to have much comfortable feature to assist me to define the correct association without corrupting my data.

In my case, I would need to change the name of 'capping_percent' column in 1 of the tables in order it wont be automatically recognized as association between the 2 tables.

Still, it doesn't take any of your will to assist me - thank you very much for your help!

Tal Sibony

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

hi Tal, great happy to help.

note just to be clear,  you are NOT changing the original column name in the source data, you are only renaming the column name that is referenced in the load script using the AS statement.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

hi Mike,

yeh I know but still it's a work around and not direct solution..

Thanks,

Tal