cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SumitPanda
Former Employee
Former Employee

Qlik installer doesn't identify postGreSQL DB during upgrade

I have a sever to upgrade which is sitting on Qlik sense June  2019. I want to upgrade it to the Nov 2019  version. 

There is a cluster of two servers. When I try to install the upgrade the installer identifies the old DB and provides an update option. The central node doesn't identify the installed version. This may be due to the fact that the DB folder is set up in a different drive/ path. 

So I have two questions?

1. How do I go for an upgrade? 
- I can uninstall and install back. I do not have the permission for this. This is a physical server, image back ups are not possible. (Don't ask, I gave up on that fact)

2. is there any other way? 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sumit_ranjan_pa
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hello, 
I was able to find the solution by some reading. The issue was not with the PostgreSQL. It was with the Qlik version installed. 

We have to understand how Windows keeps track of software installed.  When the software is installed, two registry entries are made by the system. One in the HLKM\software\install\Dependencies and other another in the  HLKM\software\wind6432\uninstall\dependencies.   How to find the entries for your machine? : https://support.qlik.com/articles/000079877  (Please read multiple times, there could be a better way to write the KB article.)

The first one keep track of your software and trigger it. The second one is for program and features/ control panel entries. If you remove that, the software cannot be seen at the control panel even if it exists. The content of the  second one is stored in the folder : C:\ProgramData\Package Cache with the same name as that of the registry key.  ( The registry name changes by version (unlike what states in the Qlik article). ) This folder contains the uninstall file and other RSA entries.  

After the background, My case was unique, the registry key folder from the program data was removed. may be by mistake , may be by anti virus software. Now, when I was trying to uninstall it it didn't pick up the folder thus didn't let me uninstall as well.  So it was a case of missing windows entries for sure. 

Solution : I have different machines , nodes and other servers, running the same version of June 2019.  I copied the folder from there and pasted it in the program data folder. This made windows entries complete. I was able to upgrade to latest version easily. No restart required. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
sumit_ranjan_pa
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hello, 
I was able to find the solution by some reading. The issue was not with the PostgreSQL. It was with the Qlik version installed. 

We have to understand how Windows keeps track of software installed.  When the software is installed, two registry entries are made by the system. One in the HLKM\software\install\Dependencies and other another in the  HLKM\software\wind6432\uninstall\dependencies.   How to find the entries for your machine? : https://support.qlik.com/articles/000079877  (Please read multiple times, there could be a better way to write the KB article.)

The first one keep track of your software and trigger it. The second one is for program and features/ control panel entries. If you remove that, the software cannot be seen at the control panel even if it exists. The content of the  second one is stored in the folder : C:\ProgramData\Package Cache with the same name as that of the registry key.  ( The registry name changes by version (unlike what states in the Qlik article). ) This folder contains the uninstall file and other RSA entries.  

After the background, My case was unique, the registry key folder from the program data was removed. may be by mistake , may be by anti virus software. Now, when I was trying to uninstall it it didn't pick up the folder thus didn't let me uninstall as well.  So it was a case of missing windows entries for sure. 

Solution : I have different machines , nodes and other servers, running the same version of June 2019.  I copied the folder from there and pasted it in the program data folder. This made windows entries complete. I was able to upgrade to latest version easily. No restart required.