Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgaseron
Contributor II
Contributor II

QlikSense Desktop client vs Web browser

If you have Enterprise license, 1) does or can it license your Desktop client? and 2) for best practices in developing an application, does it always make sense to build via the web browser (using the enterprise server) or can build using the desktop client?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Mariel - great question and answers from our Qlik Community - (Thanks guys!)

At this time, Desktop is considered a freemium product - no restrictions, full featured, licensed for individual business or personal use. However, when authenticated against a Qlik Sense Enterprise server, the user is entitled to Qlik Sense Desktop "support" under the Qlik SLA that they "may" have with Qlik. Otherwise, one can use Qlik Sense Enterprise (web) to create content. I think eventually Qlik Sense Desktop will be considered a "fat client" with syncing capabilities and such - but until that time - I agree with Omar - if you have Enterprise - use the browser-based interface. It technically works the same - including the security, governance, management and collaboration capabilities that comes with enterprise.

HTH

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

6 Replies
OmarBenSalem

Desktop does not need a licence; you only need to be able to authenticate to use it; if you have internet connection, create a qlik account and use to authenticate, or you can authenticate with your Qlik Sense entreprise account.

It's always recommanded to develop directly within Qlik Sense entreprise, with that, you won't need to change the lib statements (the connection folders) when you'll import your app developed within the desktop into the entreprise

shivanandk
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

According to my testing on the DESKTOP authentication with Qlik Sense enterprise, it will consume and allocated a named token.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Mariel - great question and answers from our Qlik Community - (Thanks guys!)

At this time, Desktop is considered a freemium product - no restrictions, full featured, licensed for individual business or personal use. However, when authenticated against a Qlik Sense Enterprise server, the user is entitled to Qlik Sense Desktop "support" under the Qlik SLA that they "may" have with Qlik. Otherwise, one can use Qlik Sense Enterprise (web) to create content. I think eventually Qlik Sense Desktop will be considered a "fat client" with syncing capabilities and such - but until that time - I agree with Omar - if you have Enterprise - use the browser-based interface. It technically works the same - including the security, governance, management and collaboration capabilities that comes with enterprise.

HTH

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
mgaseron
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks, Omar! I appreciate the insight and quick response.

mgaseron
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for the response Michael. I posed the question bc I'm also curious about collaboration...within our organization, the developers work closely together and at times will assist in development if the assigned developer on the project needs help. What are the best practices around development? Thanks again!

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

You're welcome - that's a good question - there is a section in out online help that dives deeper into this:

http://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/September2017/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Introduction/share-collaborate...

There are some good blogs with detailed attachments as well:

I also created a video to promote this a few years back - it shows some of the areas of collaboration:

Collaboration with Qlik Sense

It is sort of a video data-sheet -  the first min has some promotional stuff in it as well. The Qlik Sense interface has changed a bit but the concepts are still the same.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik