Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
satishsure
Contributor
Contributor

QlikSense-SQL/database/Salesforce connection variables dynamic

Currently I am doing the following process in qlikview

1) Copy - paste the below SQL OLE DB connection string to a text file C;/files/abc.txt.

Set ConnectToDB = OLEDB CONNECT TO [Provider=SQLOLEDB.xxx]

2 ) Read this text file with the include statement in Qlikview.

$(Include=C;/files/abc.txt.)

whenever password changes or connection changes then I will have to change the contents of the text file and all QVW's will read from the same data source.

When it comes to QlikSense.I need to Use LIB

LIB CONNECT TO 'SQL SERVER';

Can it be possible the Dynamic Variable be used in QlikSense for data connection.Instead of having LIB (Connection String) with in the qvf application
As like above QlikView process i have followed above.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

In sense for connections like this you use the data connection libraries stored on the server so you get the same central place to store your connections but within the qlik  environment not separate include files

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Let me get this right you store your username and password in a text file?

I've heard of people using the text file method to alter the environment the app is loading data from but never leaving the connection exposed this way.

The lib approach in sense will work well for your needs as when you use the server ediion can setup the data connection once on the server then use it in multiple apps without leaving it exposed.  when the password changes you will.only need to change it in one place.

satishsure
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Andy..Thanks for the reply.Yeah..user name and password will be stored in the text file .But it is encrypted string understandable by QlikView view only.This string will generated from the Qlikview side and this will be copied to include text file.

We have multiple qvf applications to be create and this connection strings to be used.As this is common place to update when ever password got changed.So this process is not supported in qliksense?

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

In sense for connections like this you use the data connection libraries stored on the server so you get the same central place to store your connections but within the qlik  environment not separate include files

satishsure
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thank you..Andy

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

You are welcome.