Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView & Qlik Sense Architecture

Our org is considering a co-deployment of QlikView and Qlik Sense. However I have a number of questions:

- Can both products be located on the same server?

- Does this apply to Dev - Test - Prod environments (considering QVD cross-over)?

- Typical CPU/RAM requirements for Qlik Sense? Is it similar to QlikView?

Has anyone done this already and could share their deployment approach?

I'm new to Qlik and any informed feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kale

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lee_Matthews
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Kale

These sub-notes are a little bit confusing, let me explain a little.

- Firstly, this is only in reference to client browser requirements. So the "virtual environment" that is being referenced in subnote 3 is the virtualisation of the client PC, not the Qlik Sense server. An example scenario would be where the user was working in a citrix client session that was hosted on a virtual citrix server.

- Note that in subnote 2 it says that Qlik Sense shall work out of the box with default browser settings. Subnote 3 must be interpreted in relation to this statement. So if the user was using a client PC that was virtualised, then the default settings of Firefox might cause an issue, as hardware acceleration is defaulted on for Firefox.

- If a user is using a virtualised client PC, AND is using Firefox as a browser, then hardware acceleration can be turned off for Firefox as per this link Disable Firefox's Hardware Acceleration to Fix Slowness (and More)

Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards

Lee

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Needham,

1.Both QlikView & QlikSense could not be installed in same server.

2.Yes it is.

3.That is mainly dependent on your data. But it is quite similar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Vignesh

Not applicable
Author

QlikView Architecture PDF files

Not applicable
Author

Check this

Not applicable
Author

Hi Vignesh,

The underlying data is 95% the same across both products. The main deliverable will be QlikView but QlikSense to our analysts (without tech knowledge).

We operate on VMware and I was proposing to setup:

- DEV/UAT server (QlikView mostly)

- PROD QlikView

- PROD Qlik Sense

Does anyone see any holes in this?.... I know we will have to remodel the presentation layer for Sense but am prepared to wear this to get it into the business in the short-term. Longer term we will migrate away all to Sense.

Regards, Kale

Not applicable
Author

Hi Venkat,

What does this mean?

3 Requires hardware acceleration, not supported in virtual environments.

We operate on VMware is this an issue.

Regards, Kale

Lee_Matthews
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Kale

These sub-notes are a little bit confusing, let me explain a little.

- Firstly, this is only in reference to client browser requirements. So the "virtual environment" that is being referenced in subnote 3 is the virtualisation of the client PC, not the Qlik Sense server. An example scenario would be where the user was working in a citrix client session that was hosted on a virtual citrix server.

- Note that in subnote 2 it says that Qlik Sense shall work out of the box with default browser settings. Subnote 3 must be interpreted in relation to this statement. So if the user was using a client PC that was virtualised, then the default settings of Firefox might cause an issue, as hardware acceleration is defaulted on for Firefox.

- If a user is using a virtualised client PC, AND is using Firefox as a browser, then hardware acceleration can be turned off for Firefox as per this link Disable Firefox's Hardware Acceleration to Fix Slowness (and More)

Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards

Lee

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Note there are some limitations on sharing QVDs.

- Sense can read QVDs created by View. There is some overhead here, as the QVD is first converted internally to Sense format.

- View cannot read QVDs created by Sense.

If you are reusing QVDs and want to have a single Extract & Transform layer, here's a recommended approach.

1. Create the transformed QVDs uisng View.

2. Using Sense, LOAD * and STORE all qvds to create a Sense QVD copy. This is only to avoid repeating the conversion overhead for multiple reuse.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob - approach looks good.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Lee - we don't use Firefox and have overcome the citrix hurdle (TBC soon).

All the best,

Kale