Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qliksense - date to month (very simple question)

Hello everyone,

What i thought would be an easy task turned out to be a bit frustrating.

I'm simply trying to convert a date column to months.

I found a very easy formula .. Month(date). The formula "check" says it's ok but in the chart i use it in, it replaces the values by one single "-".

Am i missing something with the syntax or is the desktop version of the application more restrictive.

Thanks for your help on such an easy matter.

Greg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Oleg - wouldn't the wrong field name spit out an error message on the load?

Gregory - To Oleg's second point - you might first want to identify exactly how QlikSense is consuming your date field.  Let's say the format of the date field = 02_03_15.. or MM_DD_YY.  You could then 'force' QS to read as a Date with the Date# function:

Date#(Date,'MM_DD_YY')  <-- This tells QS how to read the date. You can then nest that function with other date functions in order to achieve your desired result:

Date(Date#(Date,'MM_DD_YY'),'MM/DD/YYYY') <-- Date() is a formatting function.

Month(Date#(Date,'MM_DD_YY'))

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This formula should work, when everything is OK... Two possible causes:

1. The field name "date" is misspelled - should it be capitalized, like Date ? Field names are case sensitive.

2. The field "date" is not a date but a string (depends on how it's loaded from the source data). In this case, it needs to be converted into a proper date field before the Month() function can be used.

If you could share a bit more about your data, we could possibly troubleshoot your issue.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Check out my new book QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView an...

Not applicable
Author

Oleg - wouldn't the wrong field name spit out an error message on the load?

Gregory - To Oleg's second point - you might first want to identify exactly how QlikSense is consuming your date field.  Let's say the format of the date field = 02_03_15.. or MM_DD_YY.  You could then 'force' QS to read as a Date with the Date# function:

Date#(Date,'MM_DD_YY')  <-- This tells QS how to read the date. You can then nest that function with other date functions in order to achieve your desired result:

Date(Date#(Date,'MM_DD_YY'),'MM/DD/YYYY') <-- Date() is a formatting function.

Month(Date#(Date,'MM_DD_YY'))

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

Try like this:

Month(Date#(YourField, 'DD-MM-YY'))

Not applicable
Author

Hello again guys,

Thank you for your quick replies, you were all right, qliksense didn't see the date as a real date, so the date# function solved this.

Thanks for your time and answers,

Have a nice day,

Gregory