Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sspe
Creator II
Creator II

Replacing an expression with a Master Item measure

Hi,

Is it in some way possible to replace an expression with a Master Item measure in QlikSense?

I know I can drag and drop the measure into my visualization, but then I might have to do some rearrangement etc. afterwards (as well as deleting the existing one).

I have a number of expression where I have decided to create them as Master Items, but I can't see I can easily replace my exisiting expression with the Master Item.

Am I just overlooking something?

Regards

Steen

4 Replies
danansell42
Creator III
Creator III

As far as i am aware you will need to replace the original measure in each instance with the new master measure.

I don't believe there is a way to do a bulk change.

sspe
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. It's not a bulk change feature as such I'm looking for, but rather if it's possible the enter my master item measure name instead of my expression in the visualizations where I'm using them?

The only option I see, is to delete the existing measure and then drop the newly created master item into the visualization - and then loose whatever formatting and settings that have been made.

I think it's strange if there isn't an easy way to do something like "replace this expression with this master item".

Regards

Steen

danansell42
Creator III
Creator III

So you are aware, you don't need to delete your original expression, you can use the replace function as you drag and drop

I agree there should be such functionality but appears its not there.

Personally i don't use master expressions so much now, i create a variable instead either in the script or kept on a separate file. The main reason for this is because sometimes i need to expand on a calculation eg: $(vCalc1) x $(vCalc2)

Unfortunately this is not possible with a master item either.

sspe
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I wasn't awarwe of the replace option, but that also only seems to work on charts - currently it was just on some text boxes and KPI's I wanted to replace the measure and here I don't seem to get any option to replace it.

I'm still new to QlikSense (coming from QlikView), and I'm also not so impressed by the Master Item concept (yet). I also tend to prefer variables and the bigger flexibility they have. I still have to work a little more with the Master Item concept though, but right now it just seems a bit cumbersome to replace existing expressions once I decide to make it to a Master Item.

/Steen