Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsoni1991
Contributor II
Contributor II

Restrict Directory/Folder Access when Uploading File to Qlik after Creating a new App

Hello,

I have multiple users accessing the same Qlik Server. I have given a provision to Users to Create their own App and Upload a file which they want to Analyze. However, the user is able to see all the drives of that Server along with all the Folder Connectors. I want to restrict the visibility of the drives and folders. I want that the User should only be able to see and access the Folder assigned to them.

Example: I have created  a Folder named, "Files to Upload" in C Drive, the C Drive has multiple folders along with "Files to Upload", I want that when user "XYZ" logs into Qlik, Creates a new App and tried to upload a file via Shared Files, only "Files to Upload" folder should be visible and every other folder and directory should be hidden.

How can I achieve that?

Step 1Step 1

Step 3Step 3Step 2Step 2

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

I would perform a QMC > Audit on the Data Connection(s) that the user(s) are seeing which are unexpected.

My personal guess is that these users have been assigned a role of RootAdmin, ContentAdmin and/or SecurityAdmin. By the default FolderDataConnection rule, users with any of these roles will see any folder data connection.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

I would perform a QMC > Audit on the Data Connection(s) that the user(s) are seeing which are unexpected.

My personal guess is that these users have been assigned a role of RootAdmin, ContentAdmin and/or SecurityAdmin. By the default FolderDataConnection rule, users with any of these roles will see any folder data connection.

gsoni1991
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can I modify this default FolderDataConnection rule?

The users will be Content/Root Admin, but I don't want them to see any other folder except the respective ones assigned to them, if I cannot modify the FolderDataConnection rule, is there any other way I can go with?

gsoni1991
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

Can I somehow hide the Computer option for file upload. By performing a Audit on the Data Connections I can manipulate the visibility of connections for the user, but still I will need to hide the Computer Option somehow to restrict User from accessing the Physical Memory drives of the Machine, Example - C Drive, D Drive etc

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

> Thanks for the reply. Can I modify this default FolderDataConnection rule?

> The users will be Content/Root Admin, but I don't want them to see any other folder except the respective ones assigned to them, if I cannot modify the FolderDataConnection rule, is there any other way I can go with?

Sure, you can modify the rule if you so desire. I'd recommend disabling the rule then recreating it with your desired adjustments.

> Can I somehow hide the Computer option for file upload. By performing a Audit on the Data Connections I can manipulate the visibility of connections for the user, but still I will need to hide the Computer Option somehow to restrict User from accessing the Physical Memory drives of the Machine, Example - C Drive, D Drive etc