Qlik Community

New to Qlik Sense

Discussion board where members can get started with Qlik Sense.

gsmajdor
Contributor

Searching option for variables?

Is there any way to search for variables?

I have a lot of variables defined in the window as below:

span2.JPG

Is there any way to search e.g. for variables with "process" in their names?

If I have to change something in definition of a variable - it's really annoying to scroll down to find the correct variable.

I mean something like this:

snap3.jpg

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gsbeaton
Contributor II

Re: Searching option for variables?

Hi Grzegorz,

No, not using the Sense UI but there are some workarounds that might help if you are managing a lot.

First of all, you can set up variables in the Script.  You could create a new section in the data load editor and set up all your variables there, eg LET TimeStampFormat2 = 'YYYY-MM-DD';

Or, manage them all in a CSV or Excel document and auto create them using script like this one on my Gist:
A QlikView and QlikSense script to generate variables from a CSV include. · GitHub

7 Replies
gsbeaton
Contributor II

Hi Grzegorz,

No, not using the Sense UI but there are some workarounds that might help if you are managing a lot.

First of all, you can set up variables in the Script.  You could create a new section in the data load editor and set up all your variables there, eg LET TimeStampFormat2 = 'YYYY-MM-DD';

Or, manage them all in a CSV or Excel document and auto create them using script like this one on my Gist:
A QlikView and QlikSense script to generate variables from a CSV include. · GitHub

gsmajdor
Contributor

Hi George,

Thanks. I was surprised that there is no searching for variables.. and still I am :/

Unfortunately, I have to define variables in the Qlik UI as I need to create dynamic dashboards (using extensions which store data under variables).

Nevertheless, your script is really interesting. I saved it in my favorites

Btw, have you a script that works the other way round? (save variables to csv?)

gsbeaton
Contributor II

Hey Grzegorz

A variable defined in the UI is absolutely no different to one created in the script.

Getting the variables back out is not quite as straight forward

I've pulled together a script to extract your variables from your QVF.  Have a look at this:A quick and dirty Node.js script to dump QlikSense variables out to a file. · GitHub

It uses Node.JS along with 3 libraries written by Qlik staffers.  Tested locally and created a nice CSV file for me with all the app variables.  Hope you can get it to work.

Best regards

George

gsmajdor
Contributor

Hi George,

Thanks

How to run this script in QS?

gsbeaton
Contributor II

Hi Grzegorz,

It's a Node.js application so you'll have to learn a wee bit about Node.  I only started playing with it 2 months ago, it's not difficult t pick up if you have a coding background.  Node is a very popular way of connecting to QlikSense's many APIs.

Basically, once you have all the dependencies installed , you would just call it by typing >node dumpVariables.js.  There are lots of beginners tutorials on the web for node.

Here is also a link to Qlik's enigma.js api's documentation, specifically showing how you can use enigma.js directly to list your apps variables.

Hope this helps

George

gsmajdor
Contributor

Thanks, I will try it.

So it's time to learn Node

gsbeaton
Contributor II

You won't regret it