Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Security - Roles vs Custom Property

What is the difference from creating additional roles to manage security for groups of users vs creating a custom property to manage a group of users?  In the help file it suggests creating a custom property user type like Developer, Contributor, and Consumer.  Is there any difference in functionality in doing this than creating additional roles?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

It's a great question.  I think the way to consider the difference in the scenario you highlight is:

With roles you can have one to many relationships between a user and roles (one user can have many roles).

With custom properties you have one to one relationships between a user and a property (one user can have one value from a given property).

So if your environment has a scenario where a user may be a developer in some areas and a consumer in others than a role based methodology using Security Rules is a better way to go.

Hope this helps.

Jeff G

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

It's a great question.  I think the way to consider the difference in the scenario you highlight is:

With roles you can have one to many relationships between a user and roles (one user can have many roles).

With custom properties you have one to one relationships between a user and a property (one user can have one value from a given property).

So if your environment has a scenario where a user may be a developer in some areas and a consumer in others than a role based methodology using Security Rules is a better way to go.

Hope this helps.

Jeff G

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Note that in the later versions of Qlik Sense (2.1 and up I think) there is a one-to-many relationship from resources (e.g. users) to custom properties.

Qlik Partner Ambassador 2024
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

It would be great if you could confirm that there is a one to many relation available with custom properties in v2.1 if you have a server. Unable to find any document to verify this theoretically.

I have a case where a user can belong to more than one department (custom property) and the security rules are based on the @department property.

I am using 2.0.4 currently and thinking of a dirty solution to create combinations of departments as multiple value assignment is not supported.

Thanks

Karthik

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Can't point you in the direction of documentation on this, but I can show you a screenshot of it on our QS2.2 server which hopefully shows it's possible. This is against a User with my "TestCP" custom property.

Before saving:

2016-02-29 09_20_18-User edit - QMC.png

After saving:

2016-02-29 09_21_50-User edit - QMC.png

Qlik Partner Ambassador 2024
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Alex. Just what I was looking for.

Regards

Karthik

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jeff

• is there a way to group user and apply security on Group?(i assume we cant use custom group as users are coming from Sql table)
  • Also in future if new users are created can they be added to this group automatically based on their attributes?

Have raised separate question here

User Group on User defined Connection - QMC

ansarikashif2017

Hi jog‌,

In the latest version of QS, we can assign multiple values to a Custom Properties. How do we now decide when to use Role and when to use Custom properties? Any guidance on this?

Regards,

Kashif