Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Select a field for only a single visualisation?

Hi guys,

Is there any way I am able to select a field for only a single visualisation?

For example, I have a table and a bar chart on the same page. The table has a drill-down dimension which goes by

Year > Month > Level 1 > Level 2 > Level 3

So in my table I can view the data of Level 3 for a specific month (eg. December).

However, on my bar chart I use the Month dimension as I want to view the trend of the amounts while the table shows me Level 3 for the selected Month (eg. Table shows me December amounts while bar chart shows me July to December trend).

My problem is that when I drill-down to Level 3 on the table I've already filtered out the other months and can no longer view these on the bar chart at the same time (eg. can only view December, instead of July to December)

Is there any way around this?

10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Can you share your qvw?

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

You can do this with an appropriate set expression and/or alternate states. If you post a sample application, you will get more specific help on the expressions you need.

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
timanshu
Creator III
Creator III

Hi James,

Use set expression  for that.

For example if you are calculating Sum of Sales, then write Sum({<Month= >}Sales) , if month is field having month values.

Not applicable
Author

Hey guys,

Sorry I won't be able to post the file on here. But I took a couple pictures to help elaborate my problem.

I played around with the set analysis Timanshu, and it nearly works.

I used the expression

rangesum(above(

SUM({1<[Fiscal Month]>}[Month Target])

, 0, [Fiscal Month]))

Which works fine here.

qlikcommunity1.png

But when I select a month this happens.

qlikcommunity2.png

Which is better than what was happening before, but I don't want the data to remain the same on the chart no matter what month I click.

EDIT: I just realised that I don't want that set analysis either because then my data won't change based on other selections I make, which I want it to. So that's no good.

Not applicable
Author

I've tried using set expressions in my measures in the table to only display one month (eg. Dec), but then the whole formula no longer works when I remove the month dimension in the drill-down, and I end up with data saying $0 in the cell.

I need to remove the month in the drill down so I don't select a month because that shows a specific month in my bar chart, but then that breaks the table.

I don't know what else to try now.

Not applicable
Author

I think you should use Set Analysis only in the Expression of the line chart so when you drill down in the table to the Level 3, you can see the data for any month for that Level 3 value in the line chart.

Take a look at the example attached.

Preview:

Untitled.png

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello James, thanks for your questions. There are a lot of good suggestions posted here that mention the use of Set Analysis.

Take a look at this video I just posted, to learn more, it may help you see it clearer.

A Beginners' Introduction to Set Analysis

Let us know how you do.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi Borja,

That's a great help, thanks! But it's still not working for me properly and I still can't figure out why. I'll post pictures to explain.

The left column of my table is the 'drill-down' (Fiscal Month > Financial Year), the middle is the dimension 'Fiscal Month', and the right is my 'Month Target' Measure used in the chart.

When I select Fiscal Month in my drill-down, the bar chart month is affected.

chart1.png

When I select Fiscal Month in the middle column column, it isn't. Just how I want it, and how you have yours set up.

chart2.png

I'm a bit confused as to why this is happening 😕

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply! I did have a watch through that yesterday, it cleared up a lot about Set Analysis which I had trouble understanding so thank you!

Unfortunately, as per my reply to Borja above, I can't seem to get it to work on my chart when drill-downs are involved.