Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfountain72
Creator II
Creator II

Selection Box

Hi,

Is there a way to show the Dimension Label instead of the Field in the Selection box(es)? Field Names are rarely very user-friendly, and I assumed that the Label would be used instead...

Thanks,

Chris

Labels (3)
5 Replies
marcus_sommer

I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust the selection-box in Sense but IMO you should use user-friendly fieldnames. This might be applied with a mapping as the last scripting-step in the dashboard-application so that all the development on the datamodels could be done with the origin fieldnames.

- Marcus

cfountain72
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Marcus.
That's fair enough, but shouldn't the Labels that you create (and show up on the charts and filter headers), also appear in the Selection boxes? I know you're not a Qlik employee; just trying to understand if there's some underlying logic for that design decision that I'm not seeing.
Thanks again,
Chris
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There are challenges in showing labels vs fieldnames.  Under the covers the selection is always against fieldname.  What if a master Dimension is created with two different labels.  And the user makes selections against both?  And clears one? What should be shown, what should be cleared?

It's been a question with QlikView as well. As Marcus suggested, we seem to have landed with the best practice of naming fields with business names whenever possible.  

-Rob

cfountain72
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Ok, thanks...we'll keep that in mind going forward.
marcus_sommer

I'm not sure if there was really a design-decision about it because it's a very old feature of QlikView and I think it wasn't really touched since them. The goal of it is to show the selections which are made in the fields - and each field is unique in the whole application but you could use it multiple times in multiple sheets  and each one with a different label - which one should be displayed?

- Marcus